Re: Joseph Hooker

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2008
      Jim,
      The only one I know of is a 1944 book which is supposed to be excellent
      accoding to the Amazon reviews. I have it but have not yet read it. It
      is "Fighting Joe Hooker" by Hebert:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0942211944/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "pointsalines" <pointsalines@...>
      wrote:

      > Colleagues
      >
      > Has there ever been a full length biography done of Joseph Hooker. I
      > am looking for more information about him and would appreciate
      anything
      > you could point me toward.
      >
      > Thanks everyone
      >
      > Jim Rosebrock

    • joseph_pierro
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2008
        Jim:

        Larry's right. "Fighting Joe Hooker" is the only one to-date.

        If you're interested in Hooker, it's definitely worth the read. The
        scholarship was top-notch for its day, and it also reads quite well.
        Not only is it very balanced in its presentation, but it also devotes
        the proper amount of attention to his career in the Western theatre
        (overlooked by so many writers).

        One reason there hasn't been much else is that the vast majority of
        his papers are held by the Huntington Library in Calif. Unless one
        has a lot of grant money, it's expensive to get out there and work,
        coupled with the fact that the Huntington is a private institution
        and it involves a LOT of red tape just to get inside.

        Hooker's definitely due for a new full-length treatment, but until
        that happens Herbert still serves quite nicely.

        --jake

      • Jim Rosebrock
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2008
          Thanks very much Larry. I will try to find it.

          Jim

          wrote:

          > Colleagues
          >
          > Has there ever been a full length biography done of Joseph Hooker. I
          > am looking for more information about him and would appreciate
          anything
          > you could point me toward.
          >
          > Thanks everyone
          >
          > Jim Rosebrock

        • Jim Rosebrock

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 22, 2008
              Jim,
              A quick check online showed that for paperback, you can find it for
              $10.00 plus shipping (Alibris $1 off = total with shipping $12.99);
              hardbound is more.

              Larry

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks very much Larry. I will try to find it.
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
              > Jim,
              > The only one I know of is a 1944 book which is supposed to be
              excellent
              > accoding to the Amazon reviews. I have it but have not yet read it.
              It
              > is "Fighting Joe Hooker" by Hebert:
              > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0942211944/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
              >
              > Larry F.
              >
              > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "pointsalines" <pointsalines@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Colleagues
              > >
              > > Has there ever been a full length biography done of Joseph
              Hooker. I
              > > am looking for more information about him and would appreciate
              > anything
              > > you could point me toward.
              > >
              > > Thanks everyone
              > >
              > > Jim Rosebrock

            • Jim Rosebrock
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 24, 2008
                Thanks Larry. The Alabris copy is the one that I was able to get. Appreciate all the responses from everyone on this.