no more snide comments from you people :)

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
      OK -- The UPS guy was just at my front door.

      I'm holding in my hand copies of "The Maryland Campaign of September
      1862: Ezra A. Carman's Definitive Account of the Union and Confederate
      Armies at Antietam."

      Yes, Virginia, the book is FINALLY out. . . .

      My sincerest thanks to all my friends here at TalkAntietam for your
      support (and in many instances, assistance) in completing this project.

      All best,

      --jake
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
        Well, congratulations in order, Jake!

        How heavy is the book?

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
          Thanks, Gerry!

          It's about the same size and weight as Bill Frassanito's "Early
          Photography at Gettysburg" (8 1/2 x 11 1/8, and weighs approximately
          the same as my daughter.)

          That's one of the unexpected benefits of the final trim size: the pages
          are so big and the book is so heavy that it stays open on your desk
          when you're trying to take notes from it. (And, being a paper-over
          board-book, you'd need a hacksaw to break the binding.)

          Now if only they'd have laminated the whole thing, for use out in the
          field. . . . :)

          --j

          > Well, congratulations in order, Jake!
          >
          > How heavy is the book?

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
            Three Cheers, Joe! Congrats!

            This is going to be a good week... first my copy of
            Unfurl those Colors showed up and now this.

            --- joseph_pierro <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

            > OK -- The UPS guy was just at my front door.
            >
            > I'm holding in my hand copies of "The Maryland
            > Campaign of September
            > 1862: Ezra A. Carman's Definitive Account of the
            > Union and Confederate
            > Armies at Antietam."
            >
            > Yes, Virginia, the book is FINALLY out. . . .
            >
            > My sincerest thanks to all my friends here at
            > TalkAntietam for your
            > support (and in many instances, assistance) in
            > completing this project.
            >
            > All best,
            >
            > --jake

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
              Congrats Jake! Now when and where is the book signing?

              Paula

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                Jake,

                Congratulations on its appearance! I hope my FedEx delivery person
                comes through soon with my copy.

                Larry

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "joseph_pierro"
                <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                > OK -- The UPS guy was just at my front door.
                >
                > I'm holding in my hand copies of "The Maryland Campaign of
                September
                > 1862: Ezra A. Carman's Definitive Account of the Union and
                Confederate
                > Armies at Antietam."
                >
                > Yes, Virginia, the book is FINALLY out. . . .
                >
                > My sincerest thanks to all my friends here at TalkAntietam for your
                > support (and in many instances, assistance) in completing this
                project.

                > All best,
                >
                > --jake

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                  OK, so can we use our coupons now?

                  Harry
                  It's about the same size and weight as Bill Frassanito's "Early
                  Photography at Gettysburg" (8 1/2 x 11 1/8, and weighs approximately
                  the same as my daughter.)

                  That's one of the unexpected benefits of the final trim size: the pages
                  are so big and the book is so heavy that it stays open on your desk
                  when you're trying to take notes from it. (And, being a paper-over
                  board-book, you'd need a hacksaw to break the binding.)

                  Now if only they'd have laminated the whole thing, for use out in the
                  field. . . . :)

                  --j

                  > Well, congratulations in order, Jake!
                  >
                  > How heavy is the book?

                • joseph_pierro
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                    LOL! You always could send in that flyer.

                    Only difference is now they finally have something with which to fill
                    your order. :)

                    --j

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                    wrote:

                    > OK, so can we use our coupons now?
                    >
                    > Harry

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                      This is great news! I pre-ordered this from Amazon. Hope I don't have
                      to wait too long. Of course, I can always spend the wait downloading
                      the Cope maps as I'd like to have them to refer to while reading.

                      Thanks - this thread saved my first question for the group. And
                      thanks, Mr. Pierro, for bringing this work to light for us.

                      Steve
                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                        Congrats Jake! What a thrill!

                        Richard Croker

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 20, 2008
                          Congrats, Joe!

                          I've just begun reading "Unfurl Those Colors", Rafuse's "McClellan's War" arrived today, and now I await your Carman book.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 21, 2008
                            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <myness@...> wrote:

                            > This is great news! I pre-ordered this from Amazon. Hope I don't
                            have
                            > to wait too long.

                            We are in the same boat. My shipping estimate is today BUT no email
                            saying my order shipped.
                          • James W. Durney
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 21, 2008
                              <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                              > OK -- The UPS guy was just at my front door.
                              >
                              > I'm holding in my hand copies of "The Maryland Campaign of September
                              > 1862: Ezra A. Carman's Definitive Account of the Union and
                              Confederate
                              > Armies at Antietam."

                              IMO, we can keep making snide comments until OUR copiess arrive. After
                              all, have any of us seen the book? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this
                              is an "unverified sighting" until we have something in hand.

                              ;-)
                            • joseph_pierro
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 21, 2008
                                Lol! You have a point. My copies came direct from the editorial
                                offices of the publisher.

                                Amazon says it was available as of the 17th, yet they still also list
                                the book as "available for pre-order."

                                If anyone happened to order the book either through amazon or
                                directly from the publsiher, pls. shoot me an email (off-board) and
                                let me know. I'd like to know when books start moving through the
                                pipeline.

                                Paula, as for a "signing," that's up to Howard Dean at this point.
                                Until this Democratic primary ends, I'm doomed to forever wander from
                                one battleground state to the next like Marley's ghost with a press
                                card. . . .

                                (Actually Ted Alexander already approached me some weeks ago about
                                doing something at the park. At the time I told him to wait until the
                                books arrived before we started formalizing dates, because . . .
                                well, I don't have to tell YOU all how many times I was told this
                                book was ready to ship in the past.)

                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>