CW and UGRR museum to move

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 19 6:58 AM
      The Civil War and Underground Railroad museum, at 1805 Pine St in Philadelphia will be closing at the end of July, 08 for about 2 years in preparation of their move. The museum will be moving to the former 1st National Bank of the United States at 3rd and Walnut which will provide more room for their holdings. If you plan on seeing the museum and haven�t done so, you should do it by July or you will have to wait until 2010. This is the website, however, I must tell you that it hasn�t been updated in awhile, but the basic info is correct. http://www.cwurmuseum.org/pages/PhilaCivilWar.htm
      Also, the home page wasn�t working this AM, the other pages were. The CW and UGRR museum is the home of Meade�s horse, Old Baldy�s head and it contains the saddle that John Reynolds was on when he was killed. Other items of note, items belonging to Meade, Grant, Lincoln and a large collection of military escutcheons.

      From the web site:
      �The Civil War and Underground Railroad Museum of Philadelphia (formerly the Civil War Library and Museum) is America's oldest chartered Civil War institution. Founded in 1888 by the members of The Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), a post-war veteran's group composed of former Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, the organization moved to its present location at 1805 Pine Street in 1922.�

      �The largest room in our current home is dedicated to the artifacts and images related to President Abraham Lincoln. In addition to numerous images, drawn, painted and photographed, of the former President, the Museum's collection also includes casts of his hands and a death mask. In addition to our collection, Philadelphia is fortunate to have another remarkable collection of material related to Lincoln, housed by the Union League of Philadelphia. �
      You can see a photo of the building here: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/butowsky2/constitution5.htm

      I am a volunteer at the museum, so if you have any questions, I will try and answer them or give you a contact point that can.
      Paula

    • RoteBaron
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 10, 2008

        I was referring to the counterattack by 27th NC & 3rd ARK after Bloody Lane fell. It's covered by Sears on pg 250 of LANDSCAPE TURNED RED, but Armstrong provides far more detail.