Re: [TalkAntietam] Red Pants - was Unfurl Those Colors - new Antietam book

    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 17, 2008
      Exactly so Mike, and I didn't mean to make it sound like a correction, just more detailed information. Thanks

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> Michael Peters <colliszouave@...> 3/17/2008 10:12 AM >>>

      Tom,

      Appreciate the correction. When did the "Zouaves
      d'Afrique" evolve into the 114th PA? From what I read,
      it looks to be sometime between Antietam &
      Fredericksburg.

      Respectively,

      Mike Peters
      --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

      > Technically, Collis' Zouaves d'Afrique were only a
      > handful of enlisted men, no officers present,
      > attached to the 2nd MA Inf. They were not the 114th
      > PA at the time of the battle of Antietam. A few red
      > pants, but not the 114th PA.
      >
      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

    • Michael Peters
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 20, 2008
        Stephen,

        Company B of the 1st Delaware was also a Zouave unit. And somewhere between Gettysburg & the Wilderness, IIRC, the regiment joined the Gibraltar brigade.

        Mike Peters
        colliszouave@...

        Stephen Recker <recker@...> wrote:
        I was surprised to read, in Unfurl, that the men of Company A, the
        right company of the 1st Delaware, the right-most regiment of Weber's
        Brigade at the Sunken Road, were wearing their red Zouave pants, and
        some attributed their high losses to this fact.

        Who else were wearing red pants at Antietam?