Re: [TalkAntietam] Unfurl Those Colors - new Antietam book

  • Jim Rosebrock
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 16, 2008
      I just finished reading Marion V. Armstrong’s new book, Unfurl those Colors. I think it greatly adds to the scholarship on Union corps-level operations during the Maryland Campaign, a rarely viewed subject. I liked the discussion of the Napoleonic foundation for the corps early in the book. Using a style reminiscent of Professor Joseph Harsh's classic treatment of Robert E. Lee in Taken at the Flood, we here follow the Maryland Campaign from George McClellan and Edwin Sumner’s perspectives. Also like Harsh, we get a thorough very scholarly discussion of the leaders, organizations, staffs, weapons, numbers of troops and logistics organizations of the organization in question, here the Second Corps. Once the battle commences, we literally ride along with General Sumner as he leads Sedgwick’s division into the West Woods. Mr. Armstrong argues convincingly that Sumner’s rationale for the movement configuration of Sedgwick’s division was logical and in consort with his
      understanding of McClellan’s orders. When the attack disintegrates, Sumner is instrumental in quickly recognizing the disaster and leading the shattered division away from further damage. Mr. Armstrong’s coverage of the Sunken Road operations (French and Richardson) is equally well done. He convincingly asserts that Sumner ordered French to assault the Sunken Road to prevent the Confederates from getting behind Sedgwick’s division. He also believes that McClellan all along planned to strike the Confederate left with the combined might of the First, Twelfth and Second Corps. I think these two positions are certain to be debated by students of the Civil War everywhere. The book is replete with many well placed and detailed maps and organization charts. Unfurl those Colors is certain to challenge many conventional views on Edwin Sumner and has caused me to reevaluate my views on his leadership at the Battle of Antietam

      v/r
      Jim Rosebrock

      G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote: Dear Stephen,

      Any surprises in the chapter about the Sunken Road fight? If so,
      what are they?

      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 20, 2008
        Stephen,

        Company B of the 1st Delaware was also a Zouave unit. And somewhere between Gettysburg & the Wilderness, IIRC, the regiment joined the Gibraltar brigade.

        Mike Peters
        colliszouave@...

        Stephen Recker <recker@...> wrote:
        I was surprised to read, in Unfurl, that the men of Company A, the
        right company of the 1st Delaware, the right-most regiment of Weber's
        Brigade at the Sunken Road, were wearing their red Zouave pants, and
        some attributed their high losses to this fact.

        Who else were wearing red pants at Antietam?