MIssing medallion on 5th Md Infy Monument?

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
      Hi friends,

      I had an email asking ...

      "I was curious if you knew of the existance of the missing disc on the
      5th Maryland Monument at Antietam ...[SUV] would like to take measures
      to replace it."

      and

      "I talked to the folks at the battlefield but was unsuccessful in
      finding anything that would give us an idea as to what that missing
      disc might look like. Apparently it has been missing since the late
      80s/early 90s."

      Can anybody help on this?

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
        This link describes the three medallions on the monument:

        http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=5488

        It does not mention that any are missing.

        Harry

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
          Charles Adams' THE MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM has a photo on page 29 of the 5th MD (Co A & I) monument. The caption notes that it is "an old photo which shows the missing medalion".