Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CS Signal Corps in the Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
      Dear Larry,

      Commanders of signals detachments either were Lieutenants or
      Captains. Confederate Signal Corps only had a single person with
      the rank of Major until later in the War. That person was the
      head of the Signals Bureau in Richmond.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
        Thanks, Gerry,
        I understand the ranks but the reason I mentioned at all is due to
        his footnote 23 on page 112, of GM Issue 4 Jan. 1991: "OR, 19 (1),
        953ff. (The report on pp. 958-959 identified to 'Capt.' J. L.
        Bartlett was originated by an enlisted and detailed signalman serving
        Jackson, Captain Wilbourn having been seriously wounded at Second
        Manassas.)"

        These messages start on page 958 with "Report of Capt. J. L.
        Bartlett, Signal Officer, C. S. Army, of operations about Harper's
        Ferry, W Va." and end on page 959 with his other signatures as "JOS.
        L. BARTLETT" and "J. L. B.". He mentions Captain Adams on Loudoun
        Heights and that he (Bartlett) was acting under orders of Major
        Paxton.

        I look forward to the article about signal activities during the
        Maryland Campaign.

        > Dear Larry,
        >
        > Commanders of signals detachments either were Lieutenants or
        > Captains. Confederate Signal Corps only had a single person with
        > the rank of Major until later in the War. That person was the
        > head of the Signals Bureau in Richmond.

      • flagflop
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2008
          Larry,
          Sorry to be late responding, but just returned from two weeks away.
          Dr. Freeman was wrong. (How that does pain me to say it!) But he was
          the victim of mis-identification stemming from the OR editors. At
          Second Manassas, the signalman serving Lee, by transmitting the query
          to Jackson, was the same man who was serving Jackson during the
          investment of Harper's Ferry the following month. After a long time
          trying w/o success to identify "Capt. Bartlett," I went after the
          original of Bartlett's HF report in the National Archives. Mike
          Musick tracked it down, filed with the Second Manass report. Since it
          was a report from "the signal person," that person was first ,is-
          identified as "the signal officer." Then he became "Captain." Etc.,
          etc. The name was published and indexed incorrectly compounded by the
          incorrect rank. (In contemporary and post-war narratives, the rank
          was also erroneously stated by H.K. Douglas and Imboden.) But (as
          Brian has indicated in the introductory material to Antietam on the
          Web), the individual was a detailed private. (He may, by 1864 have
          been integrated into the "regular" signal corps as a Signal Sergeant,
          but I can't yet confirm that. He was killed that summer.) That's the
          story in a nutshell and "off the top."
          Dave Gaddy

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2008
            Dave,

            Thank you for clearing that up; it makes sense now.

            Perhaps when you write about the signal corps for both sides during
            the Maryland Campaign you will include telegraph communications also?

            Larry