Re: [TalkAntietam] Northern West Woods

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
      Dear Dean,

      Contact Brian Baracz at the Antietam NBP...he might be able to
      help out....

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
        Dean,

        I don't have the definitive answer, but here are some excerpts from Carman that describe the early action in area of northern West Wood ( Capt. A. C. Page commands the 21st VA of Jones's Brigade) .....

        For some reason the right of the skirmish line [6th Wisconsin] failed to advance and clear that flank or discover what was in that direction, and the right wing reached a rise of ground in front of Miller's barn and some straw stacks on the right of the road, when it received an unexpected and severe fire upon the flank from Captain A.C. Page's Virginia skirmishers, lying along the edge of the West Woods, nearly opposite the barn, and also under the cover of the rock ledge between the road and the woods.

        So soon as this advance was attempted the fire from the West Woods and the ledge upon his flank increased to a murderous enfilade, a fire from a skirmish line in front followed and, looking in that Direction, Bragg saw Grigsby's line,, the brigades of Winder and Jones, lying along the fence and across the field to the West Woods, and at right angles to the road.

        Grigsby held on with his less than 450 men, subjected to the same destructive artillery fire, and to the severe fire of the Wisconsin skirmishers, who, creeping up along the fences of the road, did effective work upon his weak line. His men were falling fast, his left was threatened by the advance of a Union force through the West Woods, and he sent Lieutenant J.M. Garnett, of his staff, to Starke, with the message that he could not hold on much longer. Garnett found Starke in the edge of the woods, delivered the message, and as he lifted his eyes he saw the men retreating across the open field. Grigsby had used all efforts to hold on, but the fire upon him was so destructive, that Major H.J. Williams, commanding 5th Virginia, suggested to him to move back into the woods. Grigsby would not take the responsibility, upon which Williams ordered the 5th Virginia to fall back and the other regiments of Winder's Brigade followed; once started the retreat was rapid.

        Jones' Brigade, commanded by Captain John E. Penn, 42nd Virginia, was on the left of Winder's and quickly followed it in retreat. The left of this brigade rested about 100 yards from the West Woods; it was very small and the greater part of it, under command of Captain A.C. Page, was on the skirmish line.

        The 19th Indiana crossed the Hagerstown road between D.R. Miller's house and barn and formed line; Captain W.W. Dudley, deploying his company as skirmishers, quickly dislodged the Virginians from their cover at the rock ledge, and pushed on into the northern part of the West Woods, the Virginians falling back, Dudley closely following about 120 yards into the woods, when, the opposition becoming very pronounced, he halted; the regiment, slowly following the skirmishers, halted at the edge of the woods, where the 7th Wisconsin came up and formed on its left, at the extreme northeast corner of the woods, and sent a company of skirmishers to assist Dudley. Patrick's Brigade followed the 7th Wisconsin across the road and formed in the rear of it and the 19th Indiana. The 19th Indiana and the 7th Wisconsin now pushed into the woods; Dudley again went forward; Captain Page, who had been forced back, was now reinforced by Captain Penn, who had been specially charged with the care of that flank, but Penn was soon severely wounded, losing a leg, and the Virginians fell back to their brigade line, just as Winder's was withdrawing, and Jones' Brigade, now under command of Captain Page, quickly followed; the two brigades reduced to less than 250 men, obliquing to the right in retiring and rallying in the woods in rear of Starke's left.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
          Thanks Tom... I think that nails it (makes sense, too,
          given who was where). Now, if only that edited Carman
          would show up in the mail ;-)

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008

            Do you have contact information for him? Which
            facility of the park does he work in?

            Dean

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
              Dean,

              Brian is a park interpretive ranger. His email address is
              Brian_Baracz@...

              > Do you have contact information for him? Which
              > facility of the park does he work in?
              >
              > Dean
              >
              > --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Dear Dean,
              >>
              >> Contact Brian Baracz at the Antietam NBP...he might
              >> be able to
              >> help out....
              >>
              >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
              >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
              >>
              >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage,
              >> adoption, or even
              >> on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any
              >> state in the
              >> Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a
              >> benediction from
              >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
                Great! Thanks!

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
                  I had previously posted the same Carman text onto my webpage regarding the Rock Ledge:

                  http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/antietam_ledge.htm

                  From: Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>

                  --- RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

                  > Recent Activity
                  4New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Only on Yahoo!
                  Star Wars galaxy
                  Create a profile
                  and meet fans.
                  Yahoo! News
                  Get it all here
                  Breaking news to
                  entertainment news
                  Yahoo! Groups
                  w/ John McEnroe
                  Join the All-Bran
                  Day 10 Club..

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 12, 2008
                    Nice Page! Thanks. The positioning of these
                    skirmishers makes a bunch of the movements early that
                    morning make more sense.