RE: [TalkAntietam] Terrain Differences

  • Andy & Kim Mills
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2001
      WOW. Thank you very much for your help.

      Andy

      -----Original Message-----

      Here is my quick list of differences:

      - West Woods cut, about about 30% replanted about 5 years ago (will be great
      in
      about 30 years)
      - East Woods greatly cut back
      - North woods cut, again, some replanting took place a few years ago
      - rotation planting may result in Miller cornfield not being planted with
      corn
      on a given year
      - all orchards removed (D.R. Miller, Mumma, Piper, & Sherrick)
      - Piper cornfield paved over by tour road & parking lot
      - Otto 40 acre cornfield gone
      - tour roads constructed on non-wartime roads (Cornfield Ave, Confederate
      Ave,
      Richardson ave, Branch ave)
      - Construction of 2 bypasses:
      - Hagerstown turnpike bypass makes a significant cut through the
      Sharpsburg ridge
      - Lower Bridge bypass totally reworks the ground between Sherrick &
      Otto
      farm houses, and makes significant cut through Porterstown ridge;
      Lower
      Bridge road completely realigned
      - Newcommer Mill and 1 farmhouse gone
      - several nonwartime structures on battlefield, including the visitor's
      center
      - observation tower built on sunken road
      - Boonsboro Turnpike realigned a few yards north of its wartime trace, the
      jog around Cherry Hill turned into a picnic area, and road now cuts
      through
      Cherry Hill itself
      - Antietam bridge (Boonsboro turnpike bridge over the Antietam) replaced by
      modern
      bridge (original lost in 1890s)
      - National and Mountain View cemeteries now occupy best vantage point on
      battlefield
      - monuments, Monuments, and more MONUMENTS

      That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Do not be misled,
      however:
      Antietam is in near pristine condition. The two bypasses noted above
      disrupt less important areas in favor of preserving crucial areas.

      Regards,
      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...