Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 1st and 12th Corps Trains

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
      Thanks Larry!

      I was able to get a copy via interlibrary loan, but I
      really want to add it to my collection... so I'm
      bidding away.

      Hope I get it.

      Dean
      --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

      > Dean,
      >
      > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
      > book, vol. 5,
      > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
      > 110231175913.
      > Larry F.
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
      > <dean_essig@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
      > bedridden
      > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
      > exactly
      > > progressed at all.
      > >
      > > Dean
      > >
      > > --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Not really as the woods obscured their position
      > and
      > > > Civil War artillery very seldom used indirect
      > fire.
      > > > If they could not see it, they usually did not
      > shoot
      > > > at it.
      > > >

      > > > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
      > > > Professor of History
      > > > Hagerstown Community College

      > > > 10:27 AM >>>
      > > > Dear Tom,
      > > >
      > > > Would it have made more sense for the ordnance
      > > > trains of the
      > > > First Corps to be more in the area of the Upper
      > > > Bridge? IIRC,
      > > > that would be well out of range of even the
      > longest
      > > > ANV artillery
      > > > positions on the field.
      > > >
      > > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > > >
      > > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage,
      > > > adoption, or even
      > > > on one's mother's side, is an introduction to
      > any
      > > > state in the
      > > > Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a
      > > > benediction from
      > > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

      === message truncated ===

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
        Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
        notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
        "violated e-bay policy" or some such.

        Very odd.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
          Too bad--sure is strange. Maybe the seller found out the book is
          worth big bucks?
          Larry

          wrote:

          > Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
          > notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
          > "violated e-bay policy" or some such.
          >
          > Very odd.
          >
          > --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Dean,
          > >
          > > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
          > > book, vol. 5,
          > > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
          > > 110231175913.
          > > Larry F.
          > >
          > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
          > > <dean_essig@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
          > > bedridden
          > > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
          > > exactly
          > > > progressed at all.
          > > >
          > > > Dean

          > > and
          > > fire.
          > > shoot

          > > longest

          > > any

          category=shopping

          ______________
          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • joseph_pierro
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
            Dean:

            I forget how this conversation started. Was there a particular article
            you wanted from that issue?

            ILL departments can get you articles as well as books. (usually they
            provide a photocopy, though some now will send you a PDF.) I know that
            several of the larger research libraries here in VA have CW Regiments
            in their holdings.

            If you can't find a copy on the secondary market, that might be your
            best bet. Ask your local library to ILL it for you.

            --jake

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
              Dear Dean,

              It might not be the book itself but the seller.....

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                Dean,
                Best price I've found on other sites so far is $20 plus shipping,
                ISBN-13: 9781882810536. Savas shows not in stock:
                http://www.savaspublishing.com/CWR5-3.html

                Volume Five, No. 3:
                Antietam: The Maryland
                Campaign of 1862

                200pp. Maps, photos, index,
                paper. CORRECT 10 ISBN 1882810538

                See also: Part II, Vol. 6, No. 2)

                $12.99 SOLD OUT

                SOLD OUT--Let us know if you would like your name on a waiting list
                for this book. It might be reprinted.

                Antietam: The Maryland Campaign of 1862 Essays on Union and
                Confederate Leadership (ISBN: 1882810538)

                Bookseller: Apoonbooks
                (Ames, IA, U.S.A.)
                Bookseller Rating:
                Price: US$ 19.88
                [Convert Currency]
                Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                US$ 3.25
                [Rates & Speeds]

                Book Description: Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania,
                U.S.A., 1997. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. 8vo -
                over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Very nice, very clean softcover book. Very clean
                interior. Close to like new. AH. Bookseller Inventory # 000157

                Larry

                ______________

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                  On Saturday March 15, at 10am, I will be giving a tour to a prospective
                  battlefield guide. We will probably spend about three hours on the
                  field. The tour will cover the whole campaign and the three main areas
                  of the field, with a concentration on the monuments.

                  At Antietam Battlefield Guides we offer mentoring to our guide
                  candidates. Veteran guides offer their time and talents to the
                  up-and-comers in an effort to ensure a strong, skilled guide force. And
                  besides that, it's just a lot of fun walking the battlefield with these
                  folks. This event is part of that program.

                  If you or anyone you know would like to join us, let me know, or simply
                  show up at the VC at 10am. You get a free tour and you get to support
                  our talented guide candidate. Thanks.

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen Recker
                  Antietam Battlefield Guides

                  P.O. Box 705
                  Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                  240-217-3664
                  800-417-9596

                  http://www.virtualantietam.com
                  http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                  http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                    Found the Apoonbooks copy and ordered it. Hope this
                    way works... thanks for all the help guys.

                    Oh, I was able to get a copy of "Tyler to Sharpsburg"
                    through ILL and they _did_ photocopy it for me, so now
                    I have one. :-)

                  • Jim Rosebrock
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                      Alabris, a book site has four copies. They are pricy. But I bought a copy earlier this week from them and it was in mint condition. Here is the link if you would like to pursue.

                      Jim Rosebrock

                      http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?isbn=1882810538

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                        That's OK... I didn't see his post before ordering. A
                        few $$ matters not as long as I get a copy. ;-)

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs