Re: a favor

    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 26, 2008
      I hope to find more as I paw thru some more books. I wonder to whom
      the Rebs were signalling? Where were their other stations? Sounds
      like a good research topic for a research project: "The Signal
      Services during the Maryland Campaign."
      Larry F.

      > Thanks Larry. So the signal station is apparently there. What did
      they see and who did the tell? Nobody seems to know. Lee certainly
      did not seem to know much about the approach of the enmy. He told
      Davis about the various columns, but could that info come from
      Stuart? Isn't this strange?

      > Tom,
      > There is a passage in "Common Soldier, Uncommon War: Life as a
      > Cavalryman in the Civil War" by Sidney Morris Davis about
      Confederate
      > sginals on Sugarloaf: On the top of the mountain they had
      established
      > a signal station whre we could see the different flags waved at
      > intervals during the entire day," page 225.
      > Larry F.

      > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > J. Willard Brown, "The Signal Corps in the War of the Rebellion,"
      > > (Boston: U.S. Signal Corps Association, 1896; reprint, Baltimore:
      > > Butternut and Blue, 1996), 325 repeats Carman: "The enemy at once
      > > occupied the mountain with infantry and artillery, and held it as
      > > signal station."
      > >
      > > Larry F.
      > >

      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Friends,
      > > > I am helping out a friend here. We all agree that Confederate
      > > cavalry captured Sugar Loaf Mountain early in the campaign. Does
      > > anyone have a reliable information relating to whether
      Confederates
      > > utilized the mountain as an observation post before it was
      > > recaptured. Any references to signal usage, observation, etc?
      If

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 27, 2008
        Or how about, "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 2/26/2008 9:32 PM >>>
        Tom,

        -