Re: [TalkAntietam] 1st and 12th Corps Trains

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 26, 2008
      Dear Tom,

      Would it have made more sense for the ordnance trains of the
      First Corps to be more in the area of the Upper Bridge? IIRC,
      that would be well out of range of even the longest ANV artillery
      positions on the field.

        I see you did not get any replies to this query. I don't know
        that the location of the supply trains is recorded anywhere, but
        your suppositions make sense. I think J. Pofenberger was too
        exposed, and the Middlekauf farm north of it was too far out on
        the flank. Sam Poffenberger, or even perhaps back at their
        bivouac at eh George Line farm would be logical.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 2/17/2008 9:02 AM >>>
        Hi Everyone!

        Now that I'm satisfied I know what the deal is with the army
        ordinance trains on both
        sides, I've got two additional details to fill in...

        As far as I understand, 1st Corps brought its ordinance trains
        with it across the Antietam
        on the evening of the 16th. ("McClellan's War" was pretty
        explicit that orders specified that
        the trains were to cross over with the corps).

        Did 12th Corps do the same?

        And (in one or both cases as appropriate), is there any
        information as to _where_ these
        trains were posted by morning?

        Assuming 12th Corps brought theirs, the logical place would be in
        back of the East Woods
        probably near the M. Miller or S. Poffenberger farms.

        1st Corps is tougher. J. Poffenberger makes sense based on the
        location of the corps that
        night, but is terribly exposed and forward. My guess would be the
        trains would not have
        accompanied the infantry into positions on the Hagerstown Pike,
        but would have been
        dropped off someplace further back... perhaps even back where the
        12th Corps trains
        might have been.

        Any ideas?
      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
          Thanks for the responses guys... I've been bedridden
          with the flu for a week now, so work has not exactly
          progressed at all.

          Dean

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
            Dean,

            If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments book, vol. 5,
            no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number: 110231175913.
            Larry F.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>

            ______________
            > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
              Thanks Larry!

              I was able to get a copy via interlibrary loan, but I
              really want to add it to my collection... so I'm
              bidding away.

              Hope I get it.

              Dean
              --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

              > Dean,
              >
              > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
              > book, vol. 5,
              > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
              > 110231175913.
              > Larry F.
              >
              > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
              > <dean_essig@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
              > bedridden
              > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
              > exactly
              > > progressed at all.
              > >
              > > Dean
              > >
              > > --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Not really as the woods obscured their position
              > and
              > > > Civil War artillery very seldom used indirect
              > fire.
              > > > If they could not see it, they usually did not
              > shoot
              > > > at it.
              > > >

              > > > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
              > > > Professor of History
              > > > Hagerstown Community College

              > > > 10:27 AM >>>
              > > > Dear Tom,
              > > >
              > > > Would it have made more sense for the ordnance
              > > > trains of the
              > > > First Corps to be more in the area of the Upper
              > > > Bridge? IIRC,
              > > > that would be well out of range of even the
              > longest
              > > > ANV artillery
              > > > positions on the field.
              > > >
              > > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
              > > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
              > > >
              > > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage,
              > > > adoption, or even
              > > > on one's mother's side, is an introduction to
              > any
              > > > state in the
              > > > Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a
              > > > benediction from
              > > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

              === message truncated ===

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
                notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
                "violated e-bay policy" or some such.

                Very odd.

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Too bad--sure is strange. Maybe the seller found out the book is
                  worth big bucks?
                  Larry

                  wrote:

                  > Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
                  > notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
                  > "violated e-bay policy" or some such.
                  >
                  > Very odd.
                  >
                  > --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Dean,
                  > >
                  > > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
                  > > book, vol. 5,
                  > > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
                  > > 110231175913.
                  > > Larry F.
                  > >
                  > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
                  > > <dean_essig@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
                  > > bedridden
                  > > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
                  > > exactly
                  > > > progressed at all.
                  > > >
                  > > > Dean

                  > > and
                  > > fire.
                  > > shoot

                  > > longest

                  > > any

                  category=shopping

                  ______________
                  > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                • joseph_pierro
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                    Dean:

                    I forget how this conversation started. Was there a particular article
                    you wanted from that issue?

                    ILL departments can get you articles as well as books. (usually they
                    provide a photocopy, though some now will send you a PDF.) I know that
                    several of the larger research libraries here in VA have CW Regiments
                    in their holdings.

                    If you can't find a copy on the secondary market, that might be your
                    best bet. Ask your local library to ILL it for you.

                    --jake

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Dear Dean,

                      It might not be the book itself but the seller.....

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                        Dean,
                        Best price I've found on other sites so far is $20 plus shipping,
                        ISBN-13: 9781882810536. Savas shows not in stock:
                        http://www.savaspublishing.com/CWR5-3.html

                        Volume Five, No. 3:
                        Antietam: The Maryland
                        Campaign of 1862

                        200pp. Maps, photos, index,
                        paper. CORRECT 10 ISBN 1882810538

                        See also: Part II, Vol. 6, No. 2)

                        $12.99 SOLD OUT

                        SOLD OUT--Let us know if you would like your name on a waiting list
                        for this book. It might be reprinted.

                        Antietam: The Maryland Campaign of 1862 Essays on Union and
                        Confederate Leadership (ISBN: 1882810538)

                        Bookseller: Apoonbooks
                        (Ames, IA, U.S.A.)
                        Bookseller Rating:
                        Price: US$ 19.88
                        [Convert Currency]
                        Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                        US$ 3.25
                        [Rates & Speeds]

                        Book Description: Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania,
                        U.S.A., 1997. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. 8vo -
                        over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Very nice, very clean softcover book. Very clean
                        interior. Close to like new. AH. Bookseller Inventory # 000157

                        Larry

                        ______________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                          On Saturday March 15, at 10am, I will be giving a tour to a prospective
                          battlefield guide. We will probably spend about three hours on the
                          field. The tour will cover the whole campaign and the three main areas
                          of the field, with a concentration on the monuments.

                          At Antietam Battlefield Guides we offer mentoring to our guide
                          candidates. Veteran guides offer their time and talents to the
                          up-and-comers in an effort to ensure a strong, skilled guide force. And
                          besides that, it's just a lot of fun walking the battlefield with these
                          folks. This event is part of that program.

                          If you or anyone you know would like to join us, let me know, or simply
                          show up at the VC at 10am. You get a free tour and you get to support
                          our talented guide candidate. Thanks.

                          Cheers,
                          Stephen Recker
                          Antietam Battlefield Guides

                          P.O. Box 705
                          Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                          240-217-3664
                          800-417-9596

                          http://www.virtualantietam.com
                          http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                          http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                        • Dean Essig
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                            Found the Apoonbooks copy and ordered it. Hope this
                            way works... thanks for all the help guys.

                            Oh, I was able to get a copy of "Tyler to Sharpsburg"
                            through ILL and they _did_ photocopy it for me, so now
                            I have one. :-)

                          • Jim Rosebrock
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                              Alabris, a book site has four copies. They are pricy. But I bought a copy earlier this week from them and it was in mint condition. Here is the link if you would like to pursue.

                              Jim Rosebrock

                              http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?isbn=1882810538

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                                That's OK... I didn't see his post before ordering. A
                                few $$ matters not as long as I get a copy. ;-)

                                === message truncated ===

                                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs