Re: [TalkAntietam] Washington County, Maryland and the Civil War

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2008
      I think tom Riford of the Convention and visitor's Bureau is working on a few things. His office would be a good place to ask.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "George" <gffranks3@...> 2/25/2008 12:52 PM >>>
      Does anyone in this forum know what - if anything - Washington County,
      Maryland is doing to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Civil
      War from 2011-2015?

      Seems like alot of organizations in Virginia have already set up
      planning committees and support organizations.

      My experience with Washington County - and the towns there-in -
      related to Civil War events, speakers, living history, battlefield
      preservation (not just Antietam BTW) and education has been less than
      positive.

      Does it appear that the powers that be will step-up to this for the
      upcoming 150th (and I dont mean as a chance just to sell t-shirt,
      french fries and promote an outlet mall)?

      Respectfully,

      George F. Franks, III
      Williamsport, Maryland
    • The Mills
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2008
        George:

        I haven't heard anything about Washington County lining up anything for the 150th Anniversary. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but also second your statements about that area almost neglecting that aspect of their history like it didn't happen. I don't know what it is, but it seems if it wasn't for the NPS, there wouldn't be any Civil War in Washington County. There is nothing for Funkstown, Hagerstown or even to know about Rose Hill, but good luck finding anything Civil War related except for Antietam in Washington County. It is sad, as there is SO much that is simply neglected.

        Thanks
        Andy

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2008
          Hagerstown just had some nice CW markers put up around the town. I
          think Roger Keller did them.

          A little known fact about Rose Hill. E.M. Recher, the first
          photographer to take post-war Antietam battlefield photos, is buried in
          Rose Hill. It would be nice to have a marker to him.

          Stephen