Re: [TalkAntietam] Boonsboro

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
      Are you referring to General Meade? The museum only has an 88 year lease on the building. The land around it still belongs to the city. In fact, on the tour they refer to that area as the Meade Lawn. They would like to get access to some outside area for the museum - but right now the city has said no.

      I know the Meade Society has discussed raising money to move the statue. The street the statue is on was once a major roadway, but now the road is a dead end and no one drives back. I would hope once the museum opens more folks will be traveling back there. The back is where school children will be dropped off. However, as I said above, the museum couldn't take children to the statue as it is not their property.

      Paula

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      Dear Paula,

      Any plans to include the statue at the rear of the building in
      the tours?

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
      • jeffcowvplanning
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
          Tom...

          I am glad to hear that...but also quite surprised. I hope they get
          an engineer to certify that the walls are reusable...hate to see them
          put good money after bad....

          But..maybe they put a ton of new mortar in the walls as they
          renovated, which may be why they are salvageable.

          Everything I have ever heard is that if you have ancient lime mortar,
          and it is subjected to severe heat (it was hot enough to melt siding
          across Main Street), structural integrity is lost.

          Hope it works out, thought.

          Steve

          > They are saying the walls can be re-used, so I guess I was wrong
          about the heat effect. That's why I am not a architect.