Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Boonsboro

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
      Dear Stephen,

      As shocking, upsetting, &c &c the fire was, was anyone, so far as
      you recall, injured or killed in the blaze?

      If not, the buildings can hopefully be rebuilt/reconstructed to
      as they were exteriorally as before the fire. It is always easier
      to replace "things" but not people....

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008

        From what I have heard, no injuries or fatalities.

        Stephen

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
          Thanks for sharing Stephen. I remember passing the hotel many times. What a shame.

          On a better note, yesterday I took a tour of Memorial Hall. Memorial Hall is one of two buildings left from the over 200 buildings from the Centennial Exhibition held in Philadelphia in 1876. The building had been neglected over the years - having also been used as a recreational center. The Please Touch Museum, a children's museum, is taking it over and restoring areas that it can - and making it an interactive children's museum in the parts that have lost much of its integrity. Memorial Hall is on the National Registered. I was glad to see the care that is being taken. It is a great adaptive reuse. The organization also plans on conducting tours of the building for adults. They have a 30' x 40' model of the entire exhibition grounds that was made in the 1890's. They are making that a center piece.

          Paula

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
            Stephen,

            Then it is a minor miracle no one was injured or killed if, as I
            recall from the news stories, the blaze was so intense that
            buildings across the Main Street suffered heat damage.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
              Dear Paula,

              Any plans to include the statue at the rear of the building in
              the tours?

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                I should have annotated these pictures. This is a picture of the heat
                damage on the building across the street.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                  Are you referring to General Meade? The museum only has an 88 year lease on the building. The land around it still belongs to the city. In fact, on the tour they refer to that area as the Meade Lawn. They would like to get access to some outside area for the museum - but right now the city has said no.

                  I know the Meade Society has discussed raising money to move the statue. The street the statue is on was once a major roadway, but now the road is a dead end and no one drives back. I would hope once the museum opens more folks will be traveling back there. The back is where school children will be dropped off. However, as I said above, the museum couldn't take children to the statue as it is not their property.

                  Paula

                  From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                  Dear Paula,

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                  • jeffcowvplanning
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                      Tom...

                      I am glad to hear that...but also quite surprised. I hope they get
                      an engineer to certify that the walls are reusable...hate to see them
                      put good money after bad....

                      But..maybe they put a ton of new mortar in the walls as they
                      renovated, which may be why they are salvageable.

                      Everything I have ever heard is that if you have ancient lime mortar,
                      and it is subjected to severe heat (it was hot enough to melt siding
                      across Main Street), structural integrity is lost.

                      Hope it works out, thought.

                      Steve

                      > They are saying the walls can be re-used, so I guess I was wrong
                      about the heat effect. That's why I am not a architect.