Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Boonsboro

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
      They are saying the walls can be re-used, so I guess I was wrong about the heat effect. That's why I am not a architect.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 02/24/08 1:47 PM >>>
      Maybe some walls can be salvaged; I guess some were stone; let's hope
      so:

      "Best-selling romance novelist Nora Roberts went ahead with a
      scheduled meet-the-fans event at her bookstore, across from the
      former Boone Hotel, which was gutted by fire, but apparently can be
      salvaged."

      http://www.herald-mail.com/?
      cmd=displaystory&story_id=186930&format=html

      > Steve,
      > Your thoughts mirror my own experience, those walls will no longer
      bear weight. I feel just sick about the whole thing. That block of
      historic homes will never be the same. Just a shame. They say
      they're goingto rebuild, we'll see.

      Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
        Dear Stephen,

        As shocking, upsetting, &c &c the fire was, was anyone, so far as
        you recall, injured or killed in the blaze?

        If not, the buildings can hopefully be rebuilt/reconstructed to
        as they were exteriorally as before the fire. It is always easier
        to replace "things" but not people....

        Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008

          From what I have heard, no injuries or fatalities.

          Stephen

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
            Thanks for sharing Stephen. I remember passing the hotel many times. What a shame.

            On a better note, yesterday I took a tour of Memorial Hall. Memorial Hall is one of two buildings left from the over 200 buildings from the Centennial Exhibition held in Philadelphia in 1876. The building had been neglected over the years - having also been used as a recreational center. The Please Touch Museum, a children's museum, is taking it over and restoring areas that it can - and making it an interactive children's museum in the parts that have lost much of its integrity. Memorial Hall is on the National Registered. I was glad to see the care that is being taken. It is a great adaptive reuse. The organization also plans on conducting tours of the building for adults. They have a 30' x 40' model of the entire exhibition grounds that was made in the 1890's. They are making that a center piece.

            Paula

            Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
              Stephen,

              Then it is a minor miracle no one was injured or killed if, as I
              recall from the news stories, the blaze was so intense that
              buildings across the Main Street suffered heat damage.

              Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                Dear Paula,

                Any plans to include the statue at the rear of the building in
                the tours?

                Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                  I should have annotated these pictures. This is a picture of the heat
                  damage on the building across the street.

                  Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                    Are you referring to General Meade? The museum only has an 88 year lease on the building. The land around it still belongs to the city. In fact, on the tour they refer to that area as the Meade Lawn. They would like to get access to some outside area for the museum - but right now the city has said no.

                    I know the Meade Society has discussed raising money to move the statue. The street the statue is on was once a major roadway, but now the road is a dead end and no one drives back. I would hope once the museum opens more folks will be traveling back there. The back is where school children will be dropped off. However, as I said above, the museum couldn't take children to the statue as it is not their property.

                    Paula

                    From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                    Dear Paula,

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                    • jeffcowvplanning
                      Message 11 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                        Tom...

                        I am glad to hear that...but also quite surprised. I hope they get
                        an engineer to certify that the walls are reusable...hate to see them
                        put good money after bad....

                        But..maybe they put a ton of new mortar in the walls as they
                        renovated, which may be why they are salvageable.

                        Everything I have ever heard is that if you have ancient lime mortar,
                        and it is subjected to severe heat (it was hot enough to melt siding
                        across Main Street), structural integrity is lost.

                        Hope it works out, thought.

                        Steve