Re: [TalkAntietam] Boonsboro

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 22, 2008
      Steve,
      Your thoughts mirror my own experience, those walls will no longer bear weight. I feel just sick about the whole thing. That block of historic homes will never be the same. Just a shame. They say they're goingto rebuild, we'll see.

      >>> "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@...> 02/22/08 7:30 PM >>>
      Indeed, only the walls stand to the old Boone Hotel. It appears to be
      a complete loss. Generally, when there is a building this old with
      old mortar holding the walls together, blast-furnace extreme heat
      damages the mortar composition, rendering the walls (although they
      still stand) worthless. The fire was so intense, news reports said
      that buildings across Main Street got heat damage.

      I am no expert on historic masonry, so take my story for what ya paid
      for it, but unfortunately, I would speculate that the walls will have
      to come down.

      Sad.

      Steve B.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
        They are saying the walls can be re-used, so I guess I was wrong about the heat effect. That's why I am not a architect.

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 02/24/08 1:47 PM >>>
        Maybe some walls can be salvaged; I guess some were stone; let's hope
        so:

        "Best-selling romance novelist Nora Roberts went ahead with a
        scheduled meet-the-fans event at her bookstore, across from the
        former Boone Hotel, which was gutted by fire, but apparently can be
        salvaged."

        http://www.herald-mail.com/?
        cmd=displaystory&story_id=186930&format=html

        Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
          Dear Stephen,

          As shocking, upsetting, &c &c the fire was, was anyone, so far as
          you recall, injured or killed in the blaze?

          If not, the buildings can hopefully be rebuilt/reconstructed to
          as they were exteriorally as before the fire. It is always easier
          to replace "things" but not people....

          Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008

            From what I have heard, no injuries or fatalities.

            Stephen

          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
              Thanks for sharing Stephen. I remember passing the hotel many times. What a shame.

              On a better note, yesterday I took a tour of Memorial Hall. Memorial Hall is one of two buildings left from the over 200 buildings from the Centennial Exhibition held in Philadelphia in 1876. The building had been neglected over the years - having also been used as a recreational center. The Please Touch Museum, a children's museum, is taking it over and restoring areas that it can - and making it an interactive children's museum in the parts that have lost much of its integrity. Memorial Hall is on the National Registered. I was glad to see the care that is being taken. It is a great adaptive reuse. The organization also plans on conducting tours of the building for adults. They have a 30' x 40' model of the entire exhibition grounds that was made in the 1890's. They are making that a center piece.

              Paula

              Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                Stephen,

                Then it is a minor miracle no one was injured or killed if, as I
                recall from the news stories, the blaze was so intense that
                buildings across the Main Street suffered heat damage.

                Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                  Dear Paula,

                  Any plans to include the statue at the rear of the building in
                  the tours?

                  Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                    I should have annotated these pictures. This is a picture of the heat
                    damage on the building across the street.

                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                      Are you referring to General Meade? The museum only has an 88 year lease on the building. The land around it still belongs to the city. In fact, on the tour they refer to that area as the Meade Lawn. They would like to get access to some outside area for the museum - but right now the city has said no.

                      I know the Meade Society has discussed raising money to move the statue. The street the statue is on was once a major roadway, but now the road is a dead end and no one drives back. I would hope once the museum opens more folks will be traveling back there. The back is where school children will be dropped off. However, as I said above, the museum couldn't take children to the statue as it is not their property.

                      Paula

                      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                      Dear Paula,

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 11 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                      • jeffcowvplanning
                        Message 12 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                          Tom...

                          I am glad to hear that...but also quite surprised. I hope they get
                          an engineer to certify that the walls are reusable...hate to see them
                          put good money after bad....

                          But..maybe they put a ton of new mortar in the walls as they
                          renovated, which may be why they are salvageable.

                          Everything I have ever heard is that if you have ancient lime mortar,
                          and it is subjected to severe heat (it was hot enough to melt siding
                          across Main Street), structural integrity is lost.

                          Hope it works out, thought.

                          Steve