Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Is Historic Boonesboro Burning?

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
      Larry,

      Actually it is more complicated than that. For any such printing,
      even with annotation, would mean tracking down any of HKD
      descendants (IIRC, he never married but there might be other
      Douglas family members) and obtaining their sign off.

      I think Tom Clemens can make some comments here as well. Also, I
      seem to recall hearing years ago that Doug Bast is simply not
      interested in publishing the HKD diaries.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
        I'm sure that I'm coming in late on this discussion about the diary.
        Certainly since it is in Doug's possession, he has full control of it
        to do with as he wishes.

        Based on what Jake said in his posts about copyright, etc., since HKD
        died in 1903, everything in his handwriting passed into the public
        domain in 1978 if it were now in the LOC or other public facility,
        for example. Since it is not, and since Doug is not allowing anyone
        to see it, that point is moot; too bad. Assuming his diary is not
        embellished, it would be interesting to see what he thought "really"
        happened about events he participated in including the Lost Order
        episode.