Re: Copy of John Owen Allen, "The Strength of the Union and Confederate Forces

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 22, 2008
      Jake,

      Thanks for the info! I ordered Sifakis's Virginia units book to see
      what it has so I will hold off on Crute for now unless I see it in
      Ted Alexander's or the Western Maryland room and find that it is
      helpful.

      ProQuest said that they mainly have PhD vice Masters theses. I will
      also check with Ted A. and the W MD room when I visit next month.
      Maybe a copy of Allen's thesis will surface which I could buy.

      I just received and was looking at Busey's and Martin's "Reg
      Strengths and Losses at GB" 4th ed. Lots of good info (along with a
      few typos). They mention that they, too, have to make estimates when
      the numbers are not there especially for units like cavalry. I hope I
      get to see their book on the Maryland Campaign.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "joseph_pierro"
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > Larry:
      >
      > A lot of disserts and theses don't get picked up by Proquest, etc.
      >
      > Nearly every school, however, binds hard copies for their own
      library
      > collections, and usually makes one avail. for circulation.
      >
      > The inter-library loan person at your library can get it for you.
      >
      > To req. an unpublished thesis or dissert. from an ILL office, just
      give
      > the author, title, nature (MA thesis or PhD dissertation), the
      school,
      > and the year.
      >
      > I've requested dozens over the years, and never once had any ILL
      > requests go unfulfilled.
      >
      > --jake

      > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know where I could buy John Owen Allen's, "The
      Strength
      > of
      > > the Union and Confederate Forces At Second Manassas" (Masters
      Thesis,