Re: [TalkAntietam] Is Historic Boonesboro Burning?

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
      A four-alarm fire in Boonsboro has destroyed the historic Boone Hotel on the square and heavily damaged at least two other buildings. .The other buildings damaged housed the Ol' Sweet Shop, a Subway sandwich shop and some apartments.
      It appears that the fire did not make it down the street to town hall or to the town library.
      Full story and photos are online at:
      http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=186820&format=html

      From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
      I heard on the news this morning that a major, out of control fire is
      in progress in Boonesboro! Anyone heard if it is in the historic area
      downtown?

      Larry F.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
        Thank you for the news; very sad. I hope all property owners are able
        to rebuild especially since historic buildings were involved.
        Larry

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
          Larry;

          I think that hotel was the hotel mentioned in Michael Priest's
          book Before Antietam..........

          Thank you for the news; very sad. I hope all property owners are
          able
          to rebuild especially since historic buildings were involved.
          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

          > A four-alarm fire in Boonsboro has destroyed the historic Boone
          Hotel on the square and heavily damaged at least two other
          buildings. .The other buildings damaged housed the Ol' Sweet
          Shop, a
          Subway sandwich shop and some apartments.
          > It appears that the fire did not make it down the street to
          > town
          hall or to the town library.
          > Full story and photos are online at:
          > http://www.herald-mail.com/?
          cmd=displaystory&story_id=186820&format=html
          > Tom Shay

          > From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
          > I heard on the news this morning that a major, out of control
          > fire
          is
          > in progress in Boonesboro! Anyone heard if it is in the
          > historic
          area

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
            I see that during the skirmishes in town, it was apparently called
            the "U. S. Hotel" then. Looks like Priest had some good descriptions
            of the actions there. Since the current owners of the hotel were
            refurbishing it, I hope that they will continue.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
              Larry,

              It depends on whether it was insured, for how much etc. It looked
              from the news story photo, the building pretty much was totally
              gone!

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                Just read the latest update: In addition to the Boone Hotel at 1 N.
                Main St., other buildings affected by the fire were at 9, 11 and 13
                N. Main St. The U. S. Hotel apparently was not involved.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                  Yes, the historic Boone hotel is gone. The fire engines woke us this morning, a lot of them. The hotel was being resstored by Nora Roberts, the famous romance novelist. It had sat vacant and neglected for years and we were overjoyed that she was restoring it. For the last few weeks it had been covered with tarps while they did a treatment to the exterior. ALthough they are not sure yet, but likely a kerosene space heater ignited something. It was fully engulfed by 8:30 and there doesn't look like much will be left. A truly tragice event. The other houses/businesses damaged were located in old/historic structures.
                  It is a great and irreparable loss.

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                    Kyd Douglas remembers an adventure at the U S Hotel that resulted in a Hollywood style chase -- firing backwards while riding at breakneck speed until he fell into the welcoming arms of noneother than Stonewall himself. It was a pretty good story.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008

                      It sounds very bad. Perhaps next month when I'm out and about in that
                      area I will stop by and see what happened. The best case would be
                      that it and the other buildings were fully insured and that all can
                      be rebuilt to resemble the original structures. I hope the town has
                      rules for its historic district which would ensure that.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                        Douglas sure can come up with interesting tales, some of which may
                        even be true! I will use the Boonsboro incidents in my current school
                        paper regardless since I'm sure my professor knows about Douglas's
                        reliability issues. I find it easy to agree with those who say that
                        he likely is the one who lost S. O. 191.
                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                          Dear Larry,

                          HKD can be used but try to verify what he says as much as
                          possible via other sources. If we could only get to the actual
                          diary, which Doug Bast of Boonsboro owns and has sealed away....

                          As to whether HKD "lost' SO 191 the evidence that it may be him
                          is circumstantial at best. I think we will never truly know for
                          sure.

                          Douglas sure can come up with interesting tales, some of which
                          may
                          even be true! I will use the Boonsboro incidents in my current
                          school
                          paper regardless since I'm sure my professor knows about
                          Douglas's
                          reliability issues. I find it easy to agree with those who say
                          that
                          he likely is the one who lost S. O. 191.
                          Larry

                          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                          > Kyd Douglas remembers an adventure at the U S Hotel that
                          > resulted
                          in a Hollywood style chase -- firing backwards while riding at
                          breakneck speed until he fell into the welcoming arms of
                          noneother
                          than Stonewall himself. It was a pretty good story.

                          are

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                            I hope Doug prints the diary so we have some more insight into HKD. I
                            wonder if he is planning on doing so or is there something else going
                            on?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                              Also, pls let me know if there is anything that I or perhaps others
                              can do to help in the restoration of the town. I saw the latest news
                              article which said that only the walls are left of the hotel.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                                Larry,

                                Actually it is more complicated than that. For any such printing,
                                even with annotation, would mean tracking down any of HKD
                                descendants (IIRC, he never married but there might be other
                                Douglas family members) and obtaining their sign off.

                                I think Tom Clemens can make some comments here as well. Also, I
                                seem to recall hearing years ago that Doug Bast is simply not
                                interested in publishing the HKD diaries.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 22, 2008
                                  I'm sure that I'm coming in late on this discussion about the diary.
                                  Certainly since it is in Doug's possession, he has full control of it
                                  to do with as he wishes.

                                  Based on what Jake said in his posts about copyright, etc., since HKD
                                  died in 1903, everything in his handwriting passed into the public
                                  domain in 1978 if it were now in the LOC or other public facility,
                                  for example. Since it is not, and since Doug is not allowing anyone
                                  to see it, that point is moot; too bad. Assuming his diary is not
                                  embellished, it would be interesting to see what he thought "really"
                                  happened about events he participated in including the Lost Order
                                  episode.