Copy of John Owen Allen, "The Strength of the Union and Confederate Forces

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
      Does anyone know where I could buy John Owen Allen's, "The Strength of
      the Union and Confederate Forces At Second Manassas" (Masters Thesis,
      George Mason University, 1993)?

      I can't locate it on ProQuest.

      Thanks,
      Larry F.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
        It could be an unpublished thesis.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008

          I believe that you are correct. ProQuest/UMI Dissertation Services
          prints unpublished dissertations which is where I bought Tom Clemens'
          Carman dissertation he did in 2002. ProQuest's online search comes up
          empty for Allen. I guess I will give them a call anyway.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
            How much for Tom's dissertation?

            Strength of the Union and Confederate Forces

            Gerry,

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
              He did that thesis for Joe Harsh at GMU. If GMU does not have a copy, and they may not, Joe may have one, or know how to find one. I'll ask the next time I talk to him.

              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008

                I bought it hardbound which is the most expensive--IIRC, it was about
                $70. I think softbound is $60 and 8 1/2x 11 loose is $40. The UMI
                number for his paper is 3045272; phone 1-800-521-0600.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                  Ok. Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                    Thanks very much Tom,

                    I just called ProQuest and they don't have it. I do have numbers
                    however, from Brett Schulte's website:

                    http://www.brettschulte.net/OOBs/SecondBullRun/SecondBullRun.html

                    Unfortunatley, none of Pope's AOV cavalry was with Pleasonton in
                    Maryland but most of Lee's cavalry was so that helps but still does
                    not come close to most of Sid's guesstimates.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                      You may already know this--Tom's book just goes through 14 September,
                      Carman's first seven chapters.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                        That is fine.

                        Actually, I need help with September 14.... for a book
                        project....

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 21, 2008
                          I wasn't completely accurate--it stops with Crampton's Gap on the
                          14th and doesn't cover Turner's and Fox's Gaps.

                          > That is fine.
                          >
                          > Actually, I need help with September 14.... for a book
                          > project....

                        • joseph_pierro
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 22, 2008
                            Larry:

                            A lot of disserts and theses don't get picked up by Proquest, etc.

                            Nearly every school, however, binds hard copies for their own library
                            collections, and usually makes one avail. for circulation.

                            The inter-library loan person at your library can get it for you.

                            To req. an unpublished thesis or dissert. from an ILL office, just give
                            the author, title, nature (MA thesis or PhD dissertation), the school,
                            and the year.

                            I've requested dozens over the years, and never once had any ILL
                            requests go unfulfilled.

                            --jake

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 22, 2008
                              Jake,

                              Thanks for the info! I ordered Sifakis's Virginia units book to see
                              what it has so I will hold off on Crute for now unless I see it in
                              Ted Alexander's or the Western Maryland room and find that it is
                              helpful.

                              ProQuest said that they mainly have PhD vice Masters theses. I will
                              also check with Ted A. and the W MD room when I visit next month.
                              Maybe a copy of Allen's thesis will surface which I could buy.

                              I just received and was looking at Busey's and Martin's "Reg
                              Strengths and Losses at GB" 4th ed. Lots of good info (along with a
                              few typos). They mention that they, too, have to make estimates when
                              the numbers are not there especially for units like cavalry. I hope I
                              get to see their book on the Maryland Campaign.

                              Larry

                              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "joseph_pierro"