Terrain Differences

  • kamills
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
      Hello Group

      I was wondering, if someone went to Antietam today, what is
      different between the battlefield appearance as seen today, as
      compared to the time of the actual battle? I know the differences
      in the Gettysburg terrain are quite significant from the time of
      the battle, as compared to today, and was wondering, is there much
      difference in Antietam? I live about 1/2 way between the two
      battlefields, and unfortunately, I have been neglecting Antietam
      and would like to learn a lot more on it.

      Thank you
      Andy
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
        In a message dated 12/27/2001 3:13:16 PM EST, kamills@... writes:
        << I was wondering, if someone went to Antietam today, what is different
        between the battlefield appearance as seen today, as compared to the time of
        the actual battle? >>

        Antietam is widely acknowledged for being in a pristine state and most of it
        differs very little from 1862. I'm sure other members (or myself later) can
        provide some examples of the changes, but suffice to say it sure does us
        proud to have an Eastern battlefield remain in such great condition.

        Even the vistas toward South Mtn remain relatively untainted.

        One of the primary reasons for the beauty of Antietam remaining pristine is
        SHAF (Save Historic Antietam Foundation).

        Tom Shay
      • kamills

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
            Tom Shay is correct, it is the best preserved in the area, and SHAF has had a small
            role in that. Physically, it is more wooded in many places, and less wooded in others
            than it was in 1862. Use Frasanito's book to compare. A few houses and encroachments
            are there, but very few, and we are working on them. Oddly enough, the Visitor's
            Center is one of the prime offenders, but that is another story.
            Tom Clemens

            kamills wrote:

            > Hello Group
            >
            > I was wondering, if someone went to Antietam today, what is
            > different between the battlefield appearance as seen today, as
            > compared to the time of the actual battle? I know the differences
            > in the Gettysburg terrain are quite significant from the time of
            > the battle, as compared to today, and was wondering, is there much
            > difference in Antietam? I live about 1/2 way between the two
            > battlefields, and unfortunately, I have been neglecting Antietam
            > and would like to learn a lot more on it.
            >
            > Thank you
            > Andy

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
              Here is my quick list of differences:

              - West Woods cut, about about 30% replanted about 5 years ago (will be great in
              about 30 years)
              - East Woods greatly cut back
              - North woods cut, again, some replanting took place a few years ago
              - rotation planting may result in Miller cornfield not being planted with corn
              on a given year
              - all orchards removed (D.R. Miller, Mumma, Piper, & Sherrick)
              - Piper cornfield paved over by tour road & parking lot
              - Otto 40 acre cornfield gone
              - tour roads constructed on non-wartime roads (Cornfield Ave, Confederate Ave,
              Richardson ave, Branch ave)
              - Construction of 2 bypasses:
              - Hagerstown turnpike bypass makes a significant cut through the Sharpsburg ridge
              - Lower Bridge bypass totally reworks the ground between Sherrick & Otto
              farm houses, and makes significant cut through Porterstown ridge; Lower
              Bridge road completely realigned
              - Newcommer Mill and 1 farmhouse gone
              - several nonwartime structures on battlefield, including the visitor's center
              - observation tower built on sunken road
              - Boonsboro Turnpike realigned a few yards north of its wartime trace, the
              jog around Cherry Hill turned into a picnic area, and road now cuts through
              Cherry Hill itself
              - Antietam bridge (Boonsboro turnpike bridge over the Antietam) replaced by modern
              bridge (original lost in 1890s)
              - National and Mountain View cemeteries now occupy best vantage point on battlefield
              - monuments, Monuments, and more MONUMENTS

              That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Do not be misled, however:
              Antietam is in near pristine condition. The two bypasses noted above
              disrupt less important areas in favor of preserving crucial areas.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              kamills wrote:

              > Hello Group
              >
              > I was wondering, if someone went to Antietam today, what is
              > different between the battlefield appearance as seen today, as
              > compared to the time of the actual battle? I know the differences
              > in the Gettysburg terrain are quite significant from the time of
              > the battle, as compared to today, and was wondering, is there much
              > difference in Antietam? I live about 1/2 way between the two
              > battlefields, and unfortunately, I have been neglecting Antietam
              > and would like to learn a lot more on it.
              >
              > Thank you
              > Andy

            • Andy & Kim Mills