Location of Soldier

  • kamills
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2001
      Hello Guys

      I just joined this group today, as I got an email from Ray, and I
      noticed this passage in the article, "At Antietam, the number of
      deaths was revised as recently as 1989, after a farmer plowing a
      field unearthed the remains of four soldiers on the battlefield."
      Can anyone shed some light on this. I havne't heard of it before
      and was wondering where these soldiers were found. I know at
      Gettysburg, they found a soldier in the Railroad Cut a couple
      years ago, so it is interesting to find things like this (no, not
      the dead soldiers, I mean the stories).

      Thank you
      Andy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2001
        Andy:

        There were partial remains of four soldiers belonging to the
        Irish Brigade found interred about 200 yards from the Observation
        Tower near the Sunken Road at Antietam.

        In "My Sons Were Faithful and They Fought", Joe Bilby and Stephen
        O'Neill have an essay about the discovery as well as the forensic
        work and reburial of the remains.

        The remains are presently resting honorably in a special plot in
        the National Cemetery at Antietam.

        Hope this helps.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

        Edward Lee

        > I just joined this group today, as I got an email from Ray, and
        > noticed this passage in the article, "At Antietam, the number
        of
        > deaths was revised as recently as 1989, after a farmer plowing
        > field unearthed the remains of four soldiers on the
        battlefield."
        > Can anyone shed some light on this. I havne't heard of it
        before
        > and was wondering where these soldiers were found. I know at
        > Gettysburg, they found a soldier in the Railroad Cut a couple
        > years ago, so it is interesting to find things like this (no,
        not
        > the dead soldiers, I mean the stories).
        >
        > Thank you
        > Andy