photo query

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 17 11:46 AM
      I'm claim little expertise in images of Union general officers, so I defer to my betters here on the board.

      A friend of mine recently purchased the following image in an auction:

      http://www.auctionfloor.com/lot_images/83209/000037_03.jpg

      It was sold as a CDV of Rutherford B. Hayes, but it looks (to my untrained eye) to be George Crook. As both were in the Md Campaign, it seems appropriate to raise the issue here. ;)

      Would someone far more knowledgeable than I care to make a positive ID?

      Much appreciated!

      --jake

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17 1:01 PM
        Joseph Pierro wrote:

        > I'm claim little expertise in images of Union general officers, so
        I defer to my betters here on the board.

        > A friend of mine recently purchased the following image in an
        auction:

        > http://www.auctionfloor.com/lot_images/83209/000037_03.jpg
        >
        > It was sold as a CDV of Rutherford B. Hayes, but it looks (to my
        untrained eye) to be George Crook. As both were in the Md Campaign,
        it seems appropriate to raise the issue here. ;)

        > Would someone far more knowledgeable than I care to make a positive
        ID?

        > Much appreciated!

        From the beard, I'd say it looks more like Crook. Check out this
        photo on LoC site:

        http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpbh/04000/04032v.jpg

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17 1:15 PM
          Looks like Crook to me.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17 1:18 PM
            I can't tell you who it is...but I am certain it is not Hayes. Other
            than being a CBG (Caucasian bearded guy), he doesn't look anything
            like Hayes.

            Its amazing what people get away with in on-line auctions in their
            description (either through intent or ignorance).

            Have a good President's Day everybody.

            Steve
          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 17 2:06 PM
              Folks sometimes want to believe they have something more valuable than they do - they figure Hayes is more valuable than someone else.

              Several years ago, someone had a period photo of the 128th Pa monument at Antietam for bid on ebay. The problem, they stated the photo was the "128th Pa monument at Gettysburg". Considering the fact that the 128th mustered out before Gettysburg, this would have been an interesting place for them to put their monument!!! I emailed the person and told them about their error - for which I received a this is what it is and I didn't know what I was talking about. I would have bid on it, but the reserve was WAY too much for it and they wouldn't back down. I don't think anyone ever bid on it. Now if there were soldiers standing around the monument - that would have been worth it - to me - but not just a photo of the monument.

              Paula

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 17 2:18 PM
                Steve is certainly correct that it is not Hayes but although it sort
                of looks like Crook, the photo in Genls in Blue doesn't really match
                IMO. But a quick glance thru the rest of the book didn't help with
                any other suspects either.

                Larry

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 17 5:19 PM
                  Dear Teej and Jake,

                  I can save you, perhaps, a little trouble. Go to Kerry Webb's
                  site on Union and Confederate Generals. There are GEMS of photos
                  there: http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/

                  > I'm claim little expertise in images of Union general officers,
                  > so
                  I defer to my betters here on the board.

                  > A friend of mine recently purchased the following image in an
                  auction:

                  > http://www.auctionfloor.com/lot_images/83209/000037_03.jpg
                  >
                  > It was sold as a CDV of Rutherford B. Hayes, but it looks (to
                  > my
                  untrained eye) to be George Crook. As both were in the Md
                  Campaign,
                  it seems appropriate to raise the issue here. ;)

                  > Would someone far more knowledgeable than I care to make a
                  > positive
                  ID?

                  > Much appreciated!

                  From the beard, I'd say it looks more like Crook. Check out
                  this

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 17 5:24 PM
                    Not only does it look more like Crook that Hays, the dead-giveaway is that the figure is wearing stars on the shoulder straps, while Hays never was a general.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 17 5:37 PM

                      Aren't you thinking of McKinley? Hayes was a brevet MGUSV, and I have seen pictures of him with general's straps.

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 18 7:00 AM
                        Sorry harry, I thought his brevets were post-war.

                        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens