1st and 12th Corps Trains

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 17, 2008
      Hi Everyone!

      Now that I'm satisfied I know what the deal is with the army ordinance trains on both
      sides, I've got two additional details to fill in...

      As far as I understand, 1st Corps brought its ordinance trains with it across the Antietam
      on the evening of the 16th. ("McClellan's War" was pretty explicit that orders specified that
      the trains were to cross over with the corps).

      Did 12th Corps do the same?

      And (in one or both cases as appropriate), is there any information as to _where_ these
      trains were posted by morning?

      Assuming 12th Corps brought theirs, the logical place would be in back of the East Woods
      probably near the M. Miller or S. Poffenberger farms.

      1st Corps is tougher. J. Poffenberger makes sense based on the location of the corps that
      night, but is terribly exposed and forward. My guess would be the trains would not have
      accompanied the infantry into positions on the Hagerstown Pike, but would have been
      dropped off someplace further back... perhaps even back where the 12th Corps trains
      might have been.

      Any ideas?
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2008
        Dean,
        I see you did not get any replies to this query. I don't know that the location of the supply trains is recorded anywhere, but your suppositions make sense. I think J. Pofenberger was too exposed, and the Middlekauf farm north of it was too far out on the flank. Sam Poffenberger, or even perhaps back at their bivouac at eh George Line farm would be logical.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 26, 2008
          Dear Tom,

          Would it have made more sense for the ordnance trains of the
          First Corps to be more in the area of the Upper Bridge? IIRC,
          that would be well out of range of even the longest ANV artillery
          positions on the field.

> [...]

            with it across the Antietam
            on the evening of the 16th. ("McClellan's War" was pretty
            explicit that orders specified that
            the trains were to cross over with the corps).

            Did 12th Corps do the same?

            And (in one or both cases as appropriate), is there any
            information as to _where_ these
            trains were posted by morning?

            Assuming 12th Corps brought theirs, the logical place would be in
            back of the East Woods
            probably near the M. Miller or S. Poffenberger farms.

            1st Corps is tougher. J. Poffenberger makes sense based on the
            location of the corps that
            night, but is terribly exposed and forward. My guess would be the
            trains would not have
            accompanied the infantry into positions on the Hagerstown Pike,
            but would have been
            dropped off someplace further back... perhaps even back where the

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
              Thanks for the responses guys... I've been bedridden
              with the flu for a week now, so work has not exactly
              progressed at all.

              Dean

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                Dean,

                If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments book, vol. 5,
                no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number: 110231175913.
                Larry F.

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>

                ______________
                > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Thanks Larry!

                  I was able to get a copy via interlibrary loan, but I
                  really want to add it to my collection... so I'm
                  bidding away.

                  Hope I get it.

                  Dean
                  --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

                  > Dean,
                  >
                  > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
                  > book, vol. 5,
                  > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
                  > 110231175913.
                  > Larry F.
                  >
                  > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
                  > <dean_essig@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
                  > bedridden
                  > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
                  > exactly
                  > > progressed at all.
                  > >
                  > > Dean
                  > >
                  > > --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Not really as the woods obscured their position
                  > and
                  > > > Civil War artillery very seldom used indirect
                  > fire.
                  > > > If they could not see it, they usually did not
                  > shoot
                  > > > at it.
                  > > >

                  > > > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens
                  > > > Professor of History
                  > > > Hagerstown Community College

                  > > > 10:27 AM >>>
                  > > > Dear Tom,
                  > > >
                  > > > Would it have made more sense for the ordnance
                  > > > trains of the
                  > > > First Corps to be more in the area of the Upper
                  > > > Bridge? IIRC,
                  > > > that would be well out of range of even the
                  > longest
                  > > > ANV artillery
                  > > > positions on the field.
                  > > >
                  > > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
                  > > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  > > >
                  > > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage,
                  > > > adoption, or even
                  > > > on one's mother's side, is an introduction to
                  > any
                  > > > state in the
                  > > > Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a
                  > > > benediction from
                  > > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                  === message truncated ===

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                    Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
                    notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
                    "violated e-bay policy" or some such.

                    Very odd.

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Too bad--sure is strange. Maybe the seller found out the book is
                      worth big bucks?
                      Larry

                      wrote:

                      > Well pooh... I put in a bid on the book and just got a
                      > notice that the book was removed from e-bay because it
                      > "violated e-bay policy" or some such.
                      >
                      > Very odd.
                      >
                      > --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dean,
                      > >
                      > > If you are still looking for the Civil War Regiments
                      > > book, vol. 5,
                      > > no. 3, there is one for sale on ebay Item number:
                      > > 110231175913.
                      > > Larry F.
                      > >
                      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
                      > > <dean_essig@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for the responses guys... I've been
                      > > bedridden
                      > > > with the flu for a week now, so work has not
                      > > exactly
                      > > > progressed at all.
                      > > >
                      > > > Dean

                      > > and
                      > > fire.
                      > > shoot

                      > > longest

                      > > any

                      category=shopping

                      ______________
                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                    • joseph_pierro
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Dean:

                        I forget how this conversation started. Was there a particular article
                        you wanted from that issue?

                        ILL departments can get you articles as well as books. (usually they
                        provide a photocopy, though some now will send you a PDF.) I know that
                        several of the larger research libraries here in VA have CW Regiments
                        in their holdings.

                        If you can't find a copy on the secondary market, that might be your
                        best bet. Ask your local library to ILL it for you.

                        --jake

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                          Dear Dean,

                          It might not be the book itself but the seller.....

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                            Dean,
                            Best price I've found on other sites so far is $20 plus shipping,
                            ISBN-13: 9781882810536. Savas shows not in stock:
                            http://www.savaspublishing.com/CWR5-3.html

                            Volume Five, No. 3:
                            Antietam: The Maryland
                            Campaign of 1862

                            200pp. Maps, photos, index,
                            paper. CORRECT 10 ISBN 1882810538

                            See also: Part II, Vol. 6, No. 2)

                            $12.99 SOLD OUT

                            SOLD OUT--Let us know if you would like your name on a waiting list
                            for this book. It might be reprinted.

                            Antietam: The Maryland Campaign of 1862 Essays on Union and
                            Confederate Leadership (ISBN: 1882810538)

                            Bookseller: Apoonbooks
                            (Ames, IA, U.S.A.)
                            Bookseller Rating:
                            Price: US$ 19.88
                            [Convert Currency]
                            Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                            US$ 3.25
                            [Rates & Speeds]

                            Book Description: Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania,
                            U.S.A., 1997. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. 8vo -
                            over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Very nice, very clean softcover book. Very clean
                            interior. Close to like new. AH. Bookseller Inventory # 000157

                            Larry

                            ______________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                              On Saturday March 15, at 10am, I will be giving a tour to a prospective
                              battlefield guide. We will probably spend about three hours on the
                              field. The tour will cover the whole campaign and the three main areas
                              of the field, with a concentration on the monuments.

                              At Antietam Battlefield Guides we offer mentoring to our guide
                              candidates. Veteran guides offer their time and talents to the
                              up-and-comers in an effort to ensure a strong, skilled guide force. And
                              besides that, it's just a lot of fun walking the battlefield with these
                              folks. This event is part of that program.

                              If you or anyone you know would like to join us, let me know, or simply
                              show up at the VC at 10am. You get a free tour and you get to support
                              our talented guide candidate. Thanks.

                              Cheers,
                              Stephen Recker
                              Antietam Battlefield Guides

                              P.O. Box 705
                              Sharpsburg, MD 21782
                              240-217-3664
                              800-417-9596

                              http://www.virtualantietam.com
                              http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
                              http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
                            • Dean Essig
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                                Found the Apoonbooks copy and ordered it. Hope this
                                way works... thanks for all the help guys.

                                Oh, I was able to get a copy of "Tyler to Sharpsburg"
                                through ILL and they _did_ photocopy it for me, so now
                                I have one. :-)

                              • Jim Rosebrock
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                                  Alabris, a book site has four copies. They are pricy. But I bought a copy earlier this week from them and it was in mint condition. Here is the link if you would like to pursue.

                                  Jim Rosebrock

                                  http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?isbn=1882810538

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 8, 2008
                                    That's OK... I didn't see his post before ordering. A
                                    few $$ matters not as long as I get a copy. ;-)

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs