Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Dr Hash's talk/Nicodemus heights

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 26, 2001
      Right Mark, most of the rebel 20 pdrs. were still in Harpers Ferry. There was a duel with guns across the creek on the 16th, but the
      distance to the Pry House was beyond the range of most of the C.S. guns, and do not forget that McClellan did not establish his HQ there
      until late in theafternoon of the 16th. Certainly no gun could shoot from Nicodemus to Pry House, too far for any field gun, except
      Whitworths. Got one of those?

      "Mark A. Pflum" wrote:

      > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Brian Downey" <brdowney@m...> wrote:
      > > This might also answer the unasked question about why Confederate
      > > artillerists didn't take a shot at the Pry house directly...
      > >
      > > Brian
      >
      > The answer to this is actually quite simple! The Confederates did
      > not have any guns heavy enough to have range of the Pry House area.
      > Especially in their horse artillery, which I believe was placed upon
      > that hill. I'd even venture to say that the National's 20Pdr. guns
      > over at the Pry House area would have been sorely taxed to send their
      > iron over to the heights, for that matter.
      >
      > What is the actual distance between the two points and the
      > differences in their elevations? They would be the telling facts if
      > the visibility factor allowed them to see one another.
      >
      > Mark A. Pflum
      > Artillery is the King of Battles!

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2001
        A great discussion about range from Nicodemus to the Pry House, but I
        apologise for asking the way I did ... must confess it really wasn't
        serious inquiry. I should have used a smiley face or something :)

        Brian
      • Mark A. Pflum
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2001
          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Brian Downey" <brdowney@m...> wrote:
          > A great discussion about range from Nicodemus to the Pry House, but
          > apologise for asking the way I did ... must confess it really
          wasn't
          > serious inquiry. I should have used a smiley face or something :)
          >
          > Brian

          Sir,

          NEVER trifle with artillery questions when you have guys like Tom and
          myself present! It's not an interest with some people, it's an
          obsession! ;^)

          Mark A. Pflum
          (incurable redleg)