Dr. David G. Martin and numbers at Antietam

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
      I ran across some handouts Dr. Martin gave out at his talk last year at
      the Chambersburg Antietam Seminar. For the Confederate cavalry he
      showed that his estimates for the 12 regiments' strengths were
      all "Category #3: ballpark or general guess." This is the lowest
      category he used for reliability. IIRC, when I asked when his Antietam
      strengths and losses book would be out, his reponse was that it was
      years away.

      Perhaps someone has better notes of his talk? I just ordered his co-
      authored book on strengths and losses at Gettysburg--anyone read it? Is
      anyone in contact with him--maybe Ted Alexander?

      Thank you,
      Larry F.
    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
        What were the low confidence numbers? (A weak data
        point being better than no data points...)

        --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

        > I ran across some handouts Dr. Martin gave out at
        > his talk last year at
        > the Chambersburg Antietam Seminar. For the
        > Confederate cavalry he
        > showed that his estimates for the 12 regiments'
        > strengths were
        > all "Category #3: ballpark or general guess." This
        > is the lowest
        > category he used for reliability. IIRC, when I asked
        > when his Antietam
        > strengths and losses book would be out, his reponse
        > was that it was
        > years away.
        >
        > Perhaps someone has better notes of his talk? I just
        > ordered his co-
        > authored book on strengths and losses at
        > Gettysburg--anyone read it? Is
        > anyone in contact with him--maybe Ted Alexander?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Larry F.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
          Dean,

          I can scan in and e-mail or snail mail a copy of his five-page
          handout to you if you wish.

          Larry F.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>

          ______________

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
            That would be wonderful, Larry! Thanks.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
              I will scan and e-mail later today; if that doesn't work, I will
              snail mail but will then need your mailing address.

              Larry

              ______________
              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
                If needed....

                Dean Essig
                500 W. 4th Street
                Homer, IL 61849

                ....and many thanks!

                --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

                > I will scan and e-mail later today; if that doesn't
                > work, I will
                > snail mail but will then need your mailing address.
                >
                > Larry
                >
                > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig
                > <dean_essig@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > That would be wonderful, Larry! Thanks.
                > >

                > > --- eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Dean,
                > > >
                > > > I can scan in and e-mail or snail mail a copy of
                > his
                > > > five-page
                > > > handout to you if you wish.
                > > >
                > > > Larry F.

                > ______________
                > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
                  Dean,
                  I could not e-mail it with either Yahoo or Hotmail. I must have saved
                  it incorrectly since it is over 70 MB. I will snail mail on Mon. or
                  Tuesday. It may be of a little help but not much since it is only a
                  sample of what he is working on.

                  Larry

                  ______________
                  > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 16, 2008
                    I appreciate it Larry... snail is fine. Every little
                    bit helps.

                    FWIW, I've heard no acknowledgment from my guy in
                    DC... not sure if he's traveling or something. I'll
                    ping him again this week.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs