re Maryland

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2001
      Group,

      Would anyone be wiling to say whether Maryland was a no man's
      land when it came to political sentiments? I have often wondered
      whether, if Lincoln had not had the Maryland legislature arrested
      when it tried to meet in Frederick in early 1861, the state would
      have successfully seceded from the Union or whether it would have
      solidly stood with the Union. Also I wonder what the percentage
      would be of those who were strongly Southern in sensibilities and
      supporting the Confederacy as against those supporting and
      standing with the Union?

      Let us recall that one of the reasons Lee and the ANV went into
      Maryland was to "liberate" the state from what they viewed as
      Federal, i.e., Union oppression.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",