Re: [TalkAntietam] South Mt. purchase

  • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
      As editor of The Watchdog, I just mailed one of our annual preservation
      donations to the CMHL on behalf of our staff and subscribers. The latest
      CMHL newsletter indicates...

      "We have recently acquired 5.5 acres of land on reno Road just below
      the site of the Fox's gap battle.
      The land was occupied by McClennan's artillery units and was in
      danger of being sold to developers.
      Thanks to the efforts of the maryland Environmental trust and the Civil
      war preservation trust, we have secured easements on the land, and in
      the process, reduced our property taxes significantly"

      I will try to contact my friend George Brigham from the CMHL to get
      specifics.

      Bill Christen
      --
      gwjchris@...
      Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
        Bill;

        Would you also put George Brigham in touch with me as respects
        information on South Mountain for my book manuscript?

        Thank you in advance.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > As editor of The Watchdog, I just mailed one of our annual
        preservation
        > donations to the CMHL on behalf of our staff and subscribers.
        The latest
        > CMHL newsletter indicates...
        >
        > "We have recently acquired 5.5 acres of land on reno Road
        just below
        > the site of the Fox's gap battle.
        > The land was occupied by McClennan's artillery units and
        was in
        > danger of being sold to developers.
        > Thanks to the efforts of the maryland Environmental trust and
        the Civil
        > war preservation trust, we have secured easements on the land,
        and in
        > the process, reduced our property taxes significantly"
        >
        > I will try to contact my friend George Brigham from the CMHL to
        get
        > specifics.
        >
        > Bill Christen
        > --
        > gwjchris@...
        > Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
        > http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
          Bill,

          Sadly I must inform you that George Brigham and CHML are no longer
          synonomous due to politics and personal attacks of a very vicious nature. My
          own membership in this group will be at an end at the beginning of the New
          Year. The group despite its public face wish to not put much emphasis on
          Civil War and become more involved in the social and political scene of
          Middletown, Maryland. I have been really upset and disgusted at the way the
          original focus and mission statement of this once valuable and important
          group has lost its focus and been passed by as a cutting edge preservation
          group. Bill, call George for a more detailed description on the travesty
          that has transpired within the ranks of CMHL than I feel at liberty to tell
          here and now. And the the purchase of what is known as the Mahaffey property
          happened more than a year or two ago. It didn't happen recently. CMHL just
          hasn't had a newsletter out in more than two years due to problems in the
          group. Don't even ask me about the severe lack of fundraising because of the
          idiocy of the current executive director and his political and social
          agenda. At the risk of sounding full of vitriol against CMHL, I would send
          contributions to SHAF and other worthy battlefield preservation
          organizations until CMHL gets themselves back on track or disbands. CMHL is
          Not Worthy of your time and contributions at this time. Sadly, I must
          confess to being one of the founding members of this organization.

          Enuff said,
          Kevin

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
            Kevin;

            I am at a loss to understand why such a respected group could
            lose its identity and mission. But, I suppose that is one of the
            dangers of bringing in an executive director from outside. That
            happened in a Catholic organization in which I once worked.

            So with the CMHL problems, will that mean an expanded effort by
            SHAF to save important sites related to the Antietam campaign but
            not directly part of the Battle of Antietam?

            As a SHAF member I would be happy to support preservation efforts
            related to South Mountain.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

            Edward Lee

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
              "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > Sadly I must inform you that George Brigham and CHML are no longer...
              > synonomous due to politics and personal attacks of a very vicious nature.I
              > would send
              > contributions to SHAF and other worthy battlefield preservation organizations
              > until CMHL gets themselves back on track

              Kevin,

              I am disappointed to here of this. I did send a reduced check ($100) CHML and,
              fortunately, a bigger check ($400) to SHAF on behalf of the Watchdog just last
              week. The DOG also supported the Mill Springs, KY and Franklin, TN battlefields
              this year.

              I'll give George a call.

              Bill
            • ringgold61
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
                --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
                > David,
                >
                > Without further details, I would hazard a guess that it is the
                ground occupied by Cook's 8th Mass. Bty., Durell's (E, Pa. Lt.)
                and/or Clark's (E, 4th US), all of which were in action at Fox's Gap
                within 300 meters of the Reno Monument. Details of the combat may be
                found in Priest's _Before Antietam_.

                > Curt Johnson

                Curt,

                I'm sure you are aware that Captain Durell's Battery was Independent
                Battery "D", not "E". Knap's Battery was Independent Battery "E."
                It should be noted that at the time of the Battle, Durell's Battery
                was officially designated as the 2nd Independent Pennsylvania
                Battery. They were also unofficially referred to as the Ringgold
                Battery! The "D" designation was not given to the Battery until
                1863. I suppose it's just easier for historians to use the
                designation that they ended their service with.

                The land where these batteries went into action is about 1/2 mile
                down the hill from the Reno Monument towards the former spot of the
                Reno Oak, and on the right side of the road. You can also see it if
                you walk out onto the field across the road from the monument about
                half way to the wood line and look downhill. You can see an open
                area off to the right with a few houses between it and the road. If
                this is the land that was purchased, it is very good news! I was
                just discussing this parcel with Ranger Al Preston of the Maryland
                Parks Dept. (the folks who run the new South Mountain Battlefield
                State Park) a few months ago and he never mentioned that it had been
                saved. We both held the opinion that it should be a priority site
                for preservation. Then again, we're both rather partial to the
                artillery. ;-)

                Mark A. Pflum
                (researcher of Durell's Battery, P.V.)
              • Curt Johnson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
                  Hi, Mark,

                  Thanks for your comments. I have to tell you, when I sent my initial answer
                  to whoever it was that asked the question (never got a response), I checked
                  Mike Priest's book for details: therefore, the designation E, Pa. Lt. I
                  guess I should've checked my own book (duh!), which gives Independent Bty.
                  D. I can confirm your statement that, at the time of the battle, Durell's
                  was designated the 2d Indpt. Pa. Bty., having checked my copies of Hunt's
                  and Barry's reports and memoranda. I must have adopted the slightly later
                  designation for my book, maybe from Cuffel, so thanks for pointing that out.

                  If I understand your comments about the location where these folks went into
                  battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the vicinity of the
                  site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with that site, there was also
                  a site further up the hill and closer to the Reno Monument, where there is a
                  shelf on the north side of the road (east of Wise's North Field) that was
                  occupied by Federal artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was
                  wrecked. All this is off the top of my head.

                  Best wishes,
                  Curt

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                    --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
                    Hi, Mark,
                    <<SNIP>>
                    > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
                    went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
                    vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
                    that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
                    the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
                    road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
                    artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
                    this is off the top of my head.

                    > Best wishes,
                    > Curt

                    ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
                    way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
                    monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
                    on the mailboxes . . .

                    How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
                    thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
                    fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
                    able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
                    were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
                    front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
                    in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
                    been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
                    was on that mountain.

                    Mark A. Pflum
                  • David Lutton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
                      question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
                      My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
                      the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
                      Road? Is this correct??

                      By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
                      purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.

                      David Lutton
                      Hollidaysburg Pa
                      > > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
                      > went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
                      > vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
                      > that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
                      > the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
                      > road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
                      > artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
                      > this is off the top of my head.
                      > >
                      > > Best wishes,
                      > > Curt
                      >
                      > ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
                      > way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
                      > monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
                      > on the mailboxes . . .
                      >
                      > How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
                      > thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
                      > fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
                      > able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
                      > were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
                      > front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
                      > in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
                      > been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
                      > was on that mountain.
                      >
                      > Mark A. Pflum

                    • Tom Clemens
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                        Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the intersection
                        and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

                        David Lutton wrote:

                        > Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
                        > question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
                        > My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
                        > the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
                        > Road? Is this correct??
                        >
                        > By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
                        > purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.
                        >
                        > David Lutton
                        > Hollidaysburg Pa

                      • ringgold61
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                          > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
                          intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

                          I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
                          Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
                          unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.

                          Mark A. Pflum
                        • Ray Ortensie
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                            My feelings exactly. I also feel that way about farm land being taken over
                            for new subdivisions. I hope stampedes of cattle run through the halls (or
                            at least leave a few pies!).

                            Ray
                            > > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
                            > intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.
                            >

                            > I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
                            > Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
                            > unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.
                            >
                            > Mark A. Pflum

                          • Tom Clemens
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                              Mark,
                              I know what you mean, but it is a good and bad situation. Good, they sold
                              the easements on their large farm in the middle ofthe battlefield, bad, they
                              reserved the right to build one house whereve they wanted, guess where. Not
                              the best situation, but not the worst either.
                              Tom