Sid Meier's Antietam/Civil War Collection

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
      I see on Amazon that there are two Meier's Antietams, one from 1997
      which is called "Antietam" and a newer one, "Sid Meier's Civil War
      Collection which also has Gettysburg.

      Has anyone seen these? Will they run on Windows XP--I see on reviews on
      Amazon that there is a patch available to run the Collection on XP but
      I see nothing about the older Antietam.

      Is the newer one with S. Mountain and GBurg better to buy than the old
      one? Does the documentation on the CD have more than just Carman for
      references? In short, will buying the Collection help me with research
      at all?

      Larry F.
    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
        <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

        > I see on Amazon that there are two Meier's Antietams, one from 1997
        > which is called "Antietam" and a newer one, "Sid Meier's Civil War
        > Collection which also has Gettysburg.
        >
        > Has anyone seen these? Will they run on Windows XP--I see on
        reviews on
        > Amazon that there is a patch available to run the Collection on XP
        but
        > I see nothing about the older Antietam.
        >
        > Is the newer one with S. Mountain and GBurg better to buy than the
        old
        > one? Does the documentation on the CD have more than just Carman
        for
        > references? In short, will buying the Collection help me with
        research
        > at all?
        >
        > Larry F.

        These games are not historical battle games. If you want a
        historical battle Antietam PC game take a look at the HPS game
        Antietam. They can be found on Amazon.com at a discount.
      • James W. Durney
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
          wrote:

          > These games are not historical battle games. If you want a
          > historical battle Antietam PC game take a look at the HPS game
          > Antietam. They can be found on Amazon.com at a discount.

          Sorry, I am wrong about this game. John Tiller did an Antietam game
          for the PC that is no longer in print. You might find it on eBay, it
          will paly on XP.
        • Joseph Pierro
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
            As a research tool? No. It will give you the unedited text of the Sept 17 portions of the Carman mss., but nothing else of a primary source nature. (Though as we discussed in an earlier email, the gamers own calculations as to available troops and relative experience may be of some assistance, though I don't believe the data is sourced.) As a game, it's a lot of fun (though Gettysburg is more enjoyable, as the two armies are more evenly matched; unlesss your actually playing against George McClellan, it's impossible to win Antietam if you take the CS side. . . .)

            If you're looking for a simulator to show the tactical action, I'd recommend the Antietam product in TravelBrain's Civil War Explorer series. (I found their Gettysburg, Second Manassas, and Fredericksburg products equally useful if you need to see regiments move in relative time.)

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
              Thanks Jake and James,

              Since its unit ratings and strengths aren't sourced, I will hold off
              investing in old Antietam games and wait for Dean's.

              Larry

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
              <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

              > As a research tool? No. It will give you the unedited text of the
              Sept 17 portions of the Carman mss., but nothing else of a primary
              source nature. (Though as we discussed in an earlier email, the
              gamers own calculations as to available troops and relative
              experience may be of some assistance, though I don't believe the data
              is sourced.) As a game, it's a lot of fun (though Gettysburg is more
              enjoyable, as the two armies are more evenly matched; unlesss your
              actually playing against George McClellan, it's impossible to win
              Antietam if you take the CS side. . . .)

              > If you're looking for a simulator to show the tactical action, I'd
              recommend the Antietam product in TravelBrain's Civil War Explorer
              series. (I found their Gettysburg, Second Manassas, and
              Fredericksburg products equally useful if you need to see regiments
              move in relative time.)

            • James W. Durney
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2008
                If you want a very playable ACW battle game, take a look at the HPS
                product line. I have them all and enjoy playing them against the PC.
                The best price I've found is on Amazon.com.
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2008
                  Thanks James-- I'll take a look.

                  Larry- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 11, 2008
                    IMO, the Sid Meier Civil War games are junk, a waste of time and $.
                    They are a battle game with ACW pixels.