Re: [TalkAntietam] Albert Kern Photos

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6 8:00 PM
      Dave,
      I can't give it to you exactly but digging into records of the Turnpike Co. will have it. I understand what you're saying and it frustrates me too. We (SHAF) offered to pay for fencing along the Hagerstown Pike, but we wanted to specify the 6 rail hog fence shown in pictures and putting it close to the paved road to recreate the "closed-in" feeling of the pike, but for safety and state highway regs, the NPS could not put thefence in close. They also didn't want to do the 6 rail fence, so we opted to fund other projects. That narrow space wwas a slaughter pen and it would be neat to recreate it.

      >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 02/06/08 7:08 PM >>>
      I have always wondered about the war-time width of the Hagerstown Pike. Looking at Kern's turn of the century photo from the Park Serivce webpage taken at the site of Battery B looking south seems to be somewhat wider that the pike's appearance in 1862.

      Is there any record as to width of the Pike at this point in 1862?

      I only ask because the recent addition of fence rails at this location has saddened me for various reasons and I feel I am losing prespective when I walk this ground.

      Any help out there?

      david lutton
      hollidaysburg Pa