Re: Swift and Carmen at Antietam

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
      Bill...

      In your research, have you ever run into any mention more than
      passing of Middletown by members of the 17th Michigan in the diaries
      you have found?

      I am looking for any and all first person references to Middletown.

      Unfortunately, 80% of what I have found are "we marched through
      middletown", "we camped near middletown", "the entire regiment
      sprouted purple wings and flew over middletown", but only a small
      percentage made any observations of the town itself, related stoies
      of interaction with locals, etc. I have found enough first person
      mentions that by the time I weed out the 80% that are worthless to my
      story, I am starting to cobble together a decent inventory of stories
      for my project....but its a slog to find them.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Glenna Jo Christen"
      <gwjchris@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I do not know if Swift ever visited Antietam and spoke directly to
      Carman. I do know that when Swift spoke to the Seventeenth veterans
      at their 1890 reunion, a group of them had recently returned from
      South Mountain with a piece or two of the stonewall at Fox's Gap (now
      in a Jackson, Michigan museum) and with a decision to place a marker
      there. It did not happen until a group of us did it for them in the
      1980s

      > Dean,
      >
      > The march from Frederick to Fox's Gap was a "hard" based on a few
      diary and letter accounts. As soon as I finish this period (June-
      November 1862, I will have to go back to the Michigan State Archives
      and check the reports. I also belive there are a few in the national
      Archives. The ultimate "regimental" return would be to check the
      military records of each soldier in the regiment. I only have two
      dozen so far.

      > Just last night I was going over the casualties by company and it
      is interesting to note the distribution--some companies were hit
      hard. I wonder if their position on the field could be correlated to
      casualties. It depends on the order of march and seniority of the
      company commanders, which may not have been noted--you cannot go by
      the company letter..