Swift and Carmen at Antietam

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008

      I do not know if Swift ever visited Antietam and spoke directly to Carman. I do know that when Swift spoke to the Seventeenth veterans at their 1890 reunion, a group of them had recently returned from South Mountain with a piece or two of the stonewall at Fox's Gap (now in a Jackson, Michigan museum) and with a decision to place a marker there. It did not happen until a group of us did it for them in the 1980s

      Dean,

      The march from Frederick to Fox's Gap was a "hard" based on a few diary and letter accounts. As soon as I finish this period (June-November 1862, I will have to go back to the Michigan State Archives and check the reports. I also belive there are a few in the national Archives. The ultimate "regimental" return would be to check the military records of each soldier in the regiment. I only have two dozen so far.

      Just last night I was going over the casualties by company and it is interesting to note the distribution--some companies were hit hard. I wonder if their position on the field could be correlated to casualties. It depends on the order of march and seniority of the company commanders, which may not have been noted--you cannot go by the company letter..

      Bill

    • jeffcowvplanning
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
        Bill...

        In your research, have you ever run into any mention more than
        passing of Middletown by members of the 17th Michigan in the diaries
        you have found?

        I am looking for any and all first person references to Middletown.

        Unfortunately, 80% of what I have found are "we marched through
        middletown", "we camped near middletown", "the entire regiment
        sprouted purple wings and flew over middletown", but only a small
        percentage made any observations of the town itself, related stoies
        of interaction with locals, etc. I have found enough first person
        mentions that by the time I weed out the 80% that are worthless to my
        story, I am starting to cobble together a decent inventory of stories
        for my project....but its a slog to find them.

        Any help would be appreciated.

        Thanks.
        Steve Bockmiller

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Glenna Jo Christen"