Re: Sharpesburg Hospitals

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
      Paula,

      "Cooper Union" and "Cooper Institute" functionally mean the place
      where Lincoln spoke. Technically, according to Holzer in "Lincoln at
      Cooper Union" on page 6, Cooper Institute was the name of a group at
      Cooper Union which organized public programs at Cooper Union. Lincoln
      did not lecture for that institute but for an independent political
      organization which rented the Great Hall for the evening.

      Larry F.
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@... wrote:

      > HI Tom, I already heard from John who was having problems posting
      here. I will order the CD just to have. John gave me some ideas of
      where Holstein served. I think I have enough for now. The class
      begins on the 28th of this month.

      > They also had a letter there signed by Susan B. Anthony - that was
      so cool. It stated she was writing from the Cooper Institute in NY.
      Would that be the same as the Cooper Union, of Lincoln speech fame?

      > Thanks,
      > Paula

      > From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      > Paula,
      > Perhaps the best source is John Nelson's "As Grain Before the
      Reaper" which is available on CD-ROM only, and has a chapter
      detailing where each hospital was located, etc. I have it at home and
      can look at it tonight if you're in a hurry. It is also available for
      sale through SHAF's website, andif you'll excuse a direct commercial
      plug!

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > Thanks Harry - I will definitely check these out - does anyone have
      any ideas what hospital was still around in November, 1862?

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
        Thanks Larry - great info!

        Paula

        From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
        Paula,

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          Thanks Steve! This is great info. Anna's letter is dated 11/11/1862, and she specifically writes "Sharpsburg Hospital"
          Paula

          To answer your question about which Sharpsburg area hospitals were still in operation in
          November 1862, the excerpt from Ernst's TATC below indicates that the Smoketown
          Hospital was still in operation on November 10th. Also, I took a private hospital tour with
          John Schildt this past September--IIRC, Keedysville's Locust Spring Hospital on the
          Geeting Farm was also in operation at this time and didn't close until January.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
            You're welcome Steve, and please call me Tom. I only use the "Dr.
            Clemens" professionally or if I really don't like somebody. :-) It is
            just the automatic signature on my email.

            >>> "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...> 02/06/08 10:57 AM >>>
            Paula,

            To answer your question about which Sharpsburg area hospitals were still
            in operation in
            November 1862, the excerpt from Ernst's TATC below indicates that the
            Smoketown
            Hospital was still in operation on November 10th. Also, I took a private
            hospital tour with
            John Schildt this past September--IIRC, Keedysville's Locust Spring
            Hospital on the
            Geeting Farm was also in operation at this time and didn't close until
            January.

            Also, thank you, Dr. Clemens, for plugging John Nelson's CD. I have his
            Sharpsburg village
            hospital "walking tour" booklet, but do not own his CD-ROM. Time to go
            shopping on the
            SHAF website!

            Paula--here's the excerpt from Kathleen's book:

            On November 10th, a volunteer from Maine named Isabella Morrison Fogg
            arrived in the
            Sharpsburg area to inspect the condition of hospitals. She described the
            conditions at the Smoketown Hospital as follows: "…in the midst of a
            driving snowstorm…the poor fellows
            huddled together, with their pallets of straw on the ground, their tents
            connected by
            flyes…many without walls and no stoves. Those who were able to creep out
            of their tents
            were crouched over fires, built in the woods, their heads covered with
            snow. And all I may
            say, almost without exception with thin muslin shirts on. The misery and
            suffering beggars
            all description, the heart sickens at the sight."

            --Steve

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@... wrote:

            > Is there a list somewhere or a book that someone can direct me to that
            would list the
            Union hospitals that existed after the battle? I have been doing some
            research for a class
            I teach "Women in the Civil War" and tonight at a historical society I
            came across a letter
            written by Anna Holstein ( who I have a lot of info on, so I am not
            specifically researching
            her at this point as much as her 1st person descriptions) and it is from
            "Sharpesburg
            Hospital", dated 11/11/1862. In it she states that most of the sick had
            been moved to
            Frederick and she was no longer needed in Sharpesburg and would be
            leaving for home
            soon. I am trying to determine the exact location where she nursed.