6 Wisconsin vs Texans?

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hey Guys!

      I'm trying to follow the exact sequence of events in and around the cornfield in the hour
      or so from 6:30 to 7:30am. I don't need to track everything that is going on, but rather
      the events involving the deployment and assault by the 1 Texas up to the limits of its
      advance (into the maw of the guns of Battery B 4 US and the line of Union troops just
      north of the Cornfield.

      I read the pertinent sections of Carmen (thanks to Tom's posting of the parts repeated in
      Sid Miers' game) and Rufus Dawes account.

      In its advance, Dawes' 6 Wisconsin came out of the south edge of the cornfield and
      "advanced half way across the open fields toward the small church". This would put him
      just north of where the Texans crossed the Hagerstown Pike and started their advance. He
      also relates being attacked and having to withdraw until beyond the cornfield where he
      rallied 200 men using the Wisconsin Colors.

      The question is this: Is it the Texans that forced his withdrawal? Or was he attacked a bit
      earlier than the entry of Hood's division by somebody else (probably from Lawton's
      division)?

      I'm not looking for any exact times here (since they are essentially unknown), but rather to
      answer the _who_ is doing this question.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008
        Dear Dean,

        Good question!

        I think Gibbon's brigade, if you follow the advance (BTW I
        recommend Scott Mingus Sr's book Undying Courage...a wargaming
        book about Antietam....), had multiple "adversaries" to deal with
        up to the time they finally withdrew.

        I think the cumulative effect of all the CSA counterattacks and
        losses is what made the survivors of the brigade, including the
        Sixth Wisconsin, pull back.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008

          While true, it doesn't address the basic question: did
          the 6 Wisc withdraw (or begin to withdraw) before the
          Texans slammed into the cornfield, or were they
          steamrolled _by_ them.

          I'm trying to figure out _who_ the Texans had to drive
          through on the way to the muzzles of those guns... who
          was still an organized unit in the cornfield at that
          point. Or, was there no real formed units there and
          they mopped up some stragglers on their way north?

          Dean

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008
            IIRC, the Sixth pretty much was in the upper corner of The
            Cornfield at about that time. They did have the almost muzzle to
            muzzle firefight with some of Stark's Louisiana boys
            earlier...from opposing sides of the Turnpike fencing....

            I think the First Texas got as far as it did owing to
            distractions on the part of the Federals from Confederate units
            (4th Tex, 18thGa, Hampton Legion Infantry) along the fence line
            roughly halfway in the Cornfield...this is IIRC.

            You could be right...the First Texas managed to exploit a
            relatively small window of lesser opposition due to the presence
            of other Confederate units at the north edge of the Cornfield and
            near the East Woods distracting Federal units.

            > While true, it doesn't address the basic question: did
            > the 6 Wisc withdraw (or begin to withdraw) before the
            > Texans slammed into the cornfield, or were they
            > steamrolled _by_ them.
            >
            > I'm trying to figure out _who_ the Texans had to drive
            > through on the way to the muzzles of those guns... who
            > was still an organized unit in the cornfield at that
            > point. Or, was there no real formed units there and
            > they mopped up some stragglers on their way north?
            >
            > Dean
            >
            > --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Dear Dean,
            >>
            >> Good question!
            >>
            >> I think Gibbon's brigade, if you follow the advance
            >> (BTW I
            >> recommend Scott Mingus Sr's book Undying Courage...a
            >> wargaming
            >> book about Antietam....), had multiple "adversaries"
            >> to deal with
            >> up to the time they finally withdrew.
            >>
            >> I think the cumulative effect of all the CSA
            >> counterattacks and
            >> losses is what made the survivors of the brigade,
            >> including the
            >> Sixth Wisconsin, pull back.

            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008

              This is correct, the 6th Wisc ended up in the upper
              (northern) corner of the cornfield and then moved
              further west to the _other_ side of Battery B.

              Before it got there, it had led the advance through
              and south of the cornfield. It's location and time
              there is why I'm interested in its "relationship" to
              the advance of Hood's Division.

              I'll have to examine Dawes' account more closely and
              the actions of the other Confederate Brigades in that
              zone to figure out if the 6th withdrew before or
              because of Hood's attack.

              I'm using these isolated events as a calibration
              mechanic for the game... if the 1st Texas can't do
              what it did, with the losses it had, then something is
              not working right.

              --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

              > IIRC, the Sixth pretty much was in the upper corner
              > of The
              > Cornfield at about that time. They did have the
              > almost muzzle to
              > muzzle firefight with some of Stark's Louisiana boys
              >
              > earlier...from opposing sides of the Turnpike
              > fencing....
              >
              > I think the First Texas got as far as it did owing
              > distractions on the part of the Federals from
              > Confederate units
              > (4th Tex, 18thGa, Hampton Legion Infantry) along the
              > fence line
              > roughly halfway in the Cornfield...this is IIRC.
              >
              > You could be right...the First Texas managed to
              > exploit a
              > relatively small window of lesser opposition due to
              > the presence
              > of other Confederate units at the north edge of the
              > Cornfield and
              > near the East Woods distracting Federal units.

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 6, 2008
                Dear Dean,

                If you can get your hands on the booklet, "Tyler to Sharpsburg --
                The War Letters of Robert H. and William H. Gaston, Company H,
                First Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade" edited by
                Robert W. Glover, you might find some helpful information there.

                If you can not, let me know by _private email_, as I have a copy
                and can make and snail mail send you one.

                If you do not have Dawes's book immediately available, you can
                locate it online as a pdf. I found it online in pdf form and have
                saved it. Since it is a "very" large file, I will not attach it
                here, but should be able to send it to you privately.

                > This is correct, the 6th Wisc ended up in the upper
                > (northern) corner of the cornfield and then moved
                > further west to the _other_ side of Battery B.
                >
                > Before it got there, it had led the advance through
                > and south of the cornfield. It's location and time
                > there is why I'm interested in its "relationship" to
                > the advance of Hood's Division.
                >
                > I'll have to examine Dawes' account more closely and
                > the actions of the other Confederate Brigades in that
                > zone to figure out if the 6th withdrew before or
                > because of Hood's attack.
                >
                > I'm using these isolated events as a calibration
                > mechanic for the game... if the 1st Texas can't do
                > what it did, with the losses it had, then something is
                > not working right.
                >
                > --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:
                >
                >> IIRC, the Sixth pretty much was in the upper corner
                >> of The
                >> Cornfield at about that time. They did have the
                >> almost muzzle to
                >> muzzle firefight with some of Stark's Louisiana boys
                >>
                >> earlier...from opposing sides of the Turnpike
                >> fencing....
                >>
                >> I think the First Texas got as far as it did owing
                >> distractions on the part of the Federals from
                >> Confederate units
                >> (4th Tex, 18thGa, Hampton Legion Infantry) along the
                >> fence line
                >> roughly halfway in the Cornfield...this is IIRC.
                >>
                >> You could be right...the First Texas managed to
                >> exploit a
                >> relatively small window of lesser opposition due to
                >> the presence
                >> of other Confederate units at the north edge of the
                >> Cornfield and
                >> near the East Woods distracting Federal units.

                > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                  Hi Gerry!

                  I have Dawes (I used to re-enact in the 6th Wisc).
                  I'll see ehat I can do about the 1st Texas book... if
                  I can't find it, I'll be in touch. Thanks!

                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                    Dear Dean,

                    Cool on reenacting, formerly, with the Sixth Wisconsin. I reenact
                    with Chesapeake Signals Detachment and do living history as one
                    of Longstreet's staff officers.....

                    I posted the relevant parts from Dawes last night...if you recd
                    that...give a look through it.... I think he pretty much nails
                    down when the unit first encountered the Texans.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                      Huh... no I didn't see that one.

                      I have initiated an interlibrary search for the 1st
                      Texas letters.

                      Please drop me the Dawes sections you sent to
                      d.essig@....

                      Thanks!

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                        It's on its way to you privately.

                        > I have initiated an interlibrary search for the 1st
                        > Texas letters.
                        >
                        > Please drop me the Dawes sections you sent to
                        > d.essig@....
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >

                        > --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Dear Dean,
                        >>
                        >> Cool on reenacting, formerly, with the Sixth
                        >> Wisconsin. I reenact
                        >> with Chesapeake Signals Detachment and do living
                        >> history as one
                        >> of Longstreet's staff officers.....
                        >>
                        >> I posted the relevant parts from Dawes last
                        >> night...if you recd
                        >> that...give a look through it.... I think he pretty
                        >> much nails
                        >> down when the unit first encountered the Texans.
                        >>
                        >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
                        >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
                        >>
                        >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage,
                        >> adoption, or even
                        >> on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any
                        >> state in the
                        >> Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a
                        >> benediction from
                        >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                          That's because he posted it to the wrong group.

                          I have initiated an interlibrary search for the 1st
                          Texas letters.

                          Please drop me the Dawes sections you sent to
                          d.essig@insightbb. <mailto:d.essig%40insightbb.com> com.

                          Thanks!

                          --- G E Mayers <gerry1952@verizon. <mailto:gerry1952%40verizon.net> net>

                          http://tools.
                          <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>
                          search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

                          Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.
                          <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>
                          yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                            Sorry, Harry!

                            > That's because he posted it to the wrong group.

                          • RoteBaron
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                              Dean,

                              In regard to 1st Texas Infantry, I assume you have these two items:

                              1) "ANTIETAM: THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN OF !862" (SAVAS Publishing), which contains a great article by George Otott entitled "Clash in the Cornfield: The 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry in the Maryland Campaign".

                              2) Blue & Gray Magazine which focused on The Cornfield.

                            • Dean Essig
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                                Hi Tom!

                                I don't have the SAVAS book... what's its publication
                                date?

                                I do have the Blue & Grey issue.

                                Thanks!

                                Dean
                                --- RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

                                > Dean,
                                >
                                > In regard to 1st Texas Infantry, I assume you have
                                > these two items:
                                >
                                > 1) "ANTIETAM: THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN OF !862" (SAVAS
                                > Publishing), which contains a great article by
                                > George Otott entitled "Clash in the Cornfield: The
                                > 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry in the Maryland
                                > Campaign".
                                >
                                > 2) Blue & Gray Magazine which focused on The
                                > Cornfield.
                                >
                                > Tom Shay

                                > removed]

                                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                              • RoteBaron
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                                  Dean,

                                  It's part of the SAVAS series: Civil War Regiments, Vol 5, No 3, Copyright 1997.

                                  Although sold out, more info on the book is at:
                                  http://www.savaspublishing.com/CWR5-3.html

                                  I don't have the SAVAS book... what's its publication
                                  date?

                                  I do have the Blue & Grey issue.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Dean

                                  Recent Activity
                                  a.. 1New Members
                                  Visit Your Group
                                  Only on Yahoo!
                                  Star Wars galaxy

                                  Create a profile

                                  and meet fans.

                                  Yahoo! News
                                  Get it all here

                                  Breaking news to

                                  entertainment news

                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                  Latest product news

                                  Join Mod. Central

                                  stay connected.
                                  .

                                • Dean Essig
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 7, 2008
                                    Too bad... looks interesting.

                                    I'll do some searching.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                                      I think we still have some of this volume in our SHAF books. If we do I'll post something here in case people want a copy. I know we have lots of the other issue devoted to the Maryland Campaign.

                                      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
                                        Can Tom Clemens please contact me off list?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Nick Kurtz

                                      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 9, 2010
                                          Tom Clemens, if you are around, could you drop me an email?

                                          Dave Powell