South Mt. purchase

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2001
      I talked to Ron the member who was telling me about the land purchase and he said that 5.5 acres were bought on Reno Road below the site of Fox's Gap battle.  He said the land was occupied by Mac's artillery units in 1862.
      The land was bought by the Central Maryland Heritage League.  Does this ring a bell with anyone as to its physical location?

      David Lutton
    • Curt Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 25, 2001
        David,

        Without further details, I would hazard a guess that it is the ground occupied by Cook's 8th Mass. Bty., Durell's (E, Pa. Lt.) and/or Clark's (E, 4th US), all of which were in action at Fox's Gap within 300 meters of the Reno Monument.  Details of the combat may be found in Priest's _Before Antietam_.

        Curt Johnson

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
          As editor of The Watchdog, I just mailed one of our annual preservation
          donations to the CMHL on behalf of our staff and subscribers. The latest
          CMHL newsletter indicates...

          "We have recently acquired 5.5 acres of land on reno Road just below
          the site of the Fox's gap battle.
          The land was occupied by McClennan's artillery units and was in
          danger of being sold to developers.
          Thanks to the efforts of the maryland Environmental trust and the Civil
          war preservation trust, we have secured easements on the land, and in
          the process, reduced our property taxes significantly"

          I will try to contact my friend George Brigham from the CMHL to get
          specifics.

          Bill Christen
          --
          gwjchris@...
          Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 26, 2001
            Bill;

            Would you also put George Brigham in touch with me as respects
            information on South Mountain for my book manuscript?

            Thank you in advance.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            > As editor of The Watchdog, I just mailed one of our annual
            preservation
            > donations to the CMHL on behalf of our staff and subscribers.
            The latest
            > CMHL newsletter indicates...
            >
            > "We have recently acquired 5.5 acres of land on reno Road
            just below
            > the site of the Fox's gap battle.
            > The land was occupied by McClennan's artillery units and
            was in
            > danger of being sold to developers.
            > Thanks to the efforts of the maryland Environmental trust and
            the Civil
            > war preservation trust, we have secured easements on the land,
            and in
            > the process, reduced our property taxes significantly"
            >
            > I will try to contact my friend George Brigham from the CMHL to
            get
            > specifics.
            >
            > Bill Christen
            > --
            > gwjchris@...
            > Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
            > http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
              Bill,

              Sadly I must inform you that George Brigham and CHML are no longer
              synonomous due to politics and personal attacks of a very vicious nature. My
              own membership in this group will be at an end at the beginning of the New
              Year. The group despite its public face wish to not put much emphasis on
              Civil War and become more involved in the social and political scene of
              Middletown, Maryland. I have been really upset and disgusted at the way the
              original focus and mission statement of this once valuable and important
              group has lost its focus and been passed by as a cutting edge preservation
              group. Bill, call George for a more detailed description on the travesty
              that has transpired within the ranks of CMHL than I feel at liberty to tell
              here and now. And the the purchase of what is known as the Mahaffey property
              happened more than a year or two ago. It didn't happen recently. CMHL just
              hasn't had a newsletter out in more than two years due to problems in the
              group. Don't even ask me about the severe lack of fundraising because of the
              idiocy of the current executive director and his political and social
              agenda. At the risk of sounding full of vitriol against CMHL, I would send
              contributions to SHAF and other worthy battlefield preservation
              organizations until CMHL gets themselves back on track or disbands. CMHL is
              Not Worthy of your time and contributions at this time. Sadly, I must
              confess to being one of the founding members of this organization.

              Enuff said,
              Kevin

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
                Kevin;

                I am at a loss to understand why such a respected group could
                lose its identity and mission. But, I suppose that is one of the
                dangers of bringing in an executive director from outside. That
                happened in a Catholic organization in which I once worked.

                So with the CMHL problems, will that mean an expanded effort by
                SHAF to save important sites related to the Antietam campaign but
                not directly part of the Battle of Antietam?

                As a SHAF member I would be happy to support preservation efforts
                related to South Mountain.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                Edward Lee

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.

              • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 27, 2001
                  "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > Sadly I must inform you that George Brigham and CHML are no longer...
                  > synonomous due to politics and personal attacks of a very vicious nature.I
                  > would send
                  > contributions to SHAF and other worthy battlefield preservation organizations
                  > until CMHL gets themselves back on track

                  Kevin,

                  I am disappointed to here of this. I did send a reduced check ($100) CHML and,
                  fortunately, a bigger check ($400) to SHAF on behalf of the Watchdog just last
                  week. The DOG also supported the Mill Springs, KY and Franklin, TN battlefields
                  this year.

                  I'll give George a call.

                  Bill
                • ringgold61
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
                    --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
                    > David,
                    >
                    > Without further details, I would hazard a guess that it is the
                    ground occupied by Cook's 8th Mass. Bty., Durell's (E, Pa. Lt.)
                    and/or Clark's (E, 4th US), all of which were in action at Fox's Gap
                    within 300 meters of the Reno Monument. Details of the combat may be
                    found in Priest's _Before Antietam_.

                    > Curt Johnson

                    Curt,

                    I'm sure you are aware that Captain Durell's Battery was Independent
                    Battery "D", not "E". Knap's Battery was Independent Battery "E."
                    It should be noted that at the time of the Battle, Durell's Battery
                    was officially designated as the 2nd Independent Pennsylvania
                    Battery. They were also unofficially referred to as the Ringgold
                    Battery! The "D" designation was not given to the Battery until
                    1863. I suppose it's just easier for historians to use the
                    designation that they ended their service with.

                    The land where these batteries went into action is about 1/2 mile
                    down the hill from the Reno Monument towards the former spot of the
                    Reno Oak, and on the right side of the road. You can also see it if
                    you walk out onto the field across the road from the monument about
                    half way to the wood line and look downhill. You can see an open
                    area off to the right with a few houses between it and the road. If
                    this is the land that was purchased, it is very good news! I was
                    just discussing this parcel with Ranger Al Preston of the Maryland
                    Parks Dept. (the folks who run the new South Mountain Battlefield
                    State Park) a few months ago and he never mentioned that it had been
                    saved. We both held the opinion that it should be a priority site
                    for preservation. Then again, we're both rather partial to the
                    artillery. ;-)

                    Mark A. Pflum
                    (researcher of Durell's Battery, P.V.)
                  • Curt Johnson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
                      Hi, Mark,

                      Thanks for your comments. I have to tell you, when I sent my initial answer
                      to whoever it was that asked the question (never got a response), I checked
                      Mike Priest's book for details: therefore, the designation E, Pa. Lt. I
                      guess I should've checked my own book (duh!), which gives Independent Bty.
                      D. I can confirm your statement that, at the time of the battle, Durell's
                      was designated the 2d Indpt. Pa. Bty., having checked my copies of Hunt's
                      and Barry's reports and memoranda. I must have adopted the slightly later
                      designation for my book, maybe from Cuffel, so thanks for pointing that out.

                      If I understand your comments about the location where these folks went into
                      battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the vicinity of the
                      site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with that site, there was also
                      a site further up the hill and closer to the Reno Monument, where there is a
                      shelf on the north side of the road (east of Wise's North Field) that was
                      occupied by Federal artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was
                      wrecked. All this is off the top of my head.

                      Best wishes,
                      Curt

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
                        Hi, Mark,
                        <<SNIP>>
                        > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
                        went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
                        vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
                        that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
                        the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
                        road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
                        artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
                        this is off the top of my head.

                        > Best wishes,
                        > Curt

                        ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
                        way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
                        monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
                        on the mailboxes . . .

                        How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
                        thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
                        fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
                        able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
                        were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
                        front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
                        in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
                        been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
                        was on that mountain.

                        Mark A. Pflum
                      • David Lutton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                          Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
                          question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
                          My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
                          the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
                          Road? Is this correct??

                          By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
                          purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.

                          David Lutton
                          Hollidaysburg Pa
                          > > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
                          > went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
                          > vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
                          > that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
                          > the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
                          > road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
                          > artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
                          > this is off the top of my head.
                          > >
                          > > Best wishes,
                          > > Curt
                          >
                          > ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
                          > way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
                          > monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
                          > on the mailboxes . . .
                          >
                          > How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
                          > thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
                          > fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
                          > able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
                          > were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
                          > front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
                          > in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
                          > been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
                          > was on that mountain.
                          >
                          > Mark A. Pflum

                        • Tom Clemens
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                            Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the intersection
                            and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

                            David Lutton wrote:

                            > Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
                            > question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
                            > My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
                            > the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
                            > Road? Is this correct??
                            >
                            > By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
                            > purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.
                            >
                            > David Lutton
                            > Hollidaysburg Pa

                          • ringgold61
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                              --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
                              > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
                              intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

                              I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
                              Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
                              unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.

                              Mark A. Pflum
                            • Ray Ortensie
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                                My feelings exactly. I also feel that way about farm land being taken over
                                for new subdivisions. I hope stampedes of cattle run through the halls (or
                                at least leave a few pies!).

                                Ray
                                > > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
                                > intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.
                                >

                                > I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
                                > Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
                                > unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.
                                >
                                > Mark A. Pflum

                              • Tom Clemens
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                                  Mark,
                                  I know what you mean, but it is a good and bad situation. Good, they sold
                                  the easements on their large farm in the middle ofthe battlefield, bad, they
                                  reserved the right to build one house whereve they wanted, guess where. Not
                                  the best situation, but not the worst either.
                                  Tom