Re: [TalkAntietam] Irish Bde and Anderson's NC Bde Weapons

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dear Tom,

      Thanks for providing that for Dean! I have the same book but was
      going to get that to him tomorrow or Monday.

      But I will look at Krick's article in Gallagher's "The Antietam
      Campaign" to see what else can be gleaned.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
        Tom Shay wrote:

        > "The North Carolinians occupying the lane were, like the Irish,
        largely armed with smoothbore muskets. When the war began North
        Carolina Governor John W. Ellis seized the United States arsenal at
        Fayetteville and obtained enough weapons to arm thirty regiments. Most
        of these confiscated guns were Model 1842 smoothbore muskets or
        percussion conversions of flintlock smoothbores. By the fall of 1862,
        most North Carolina regiments had a company or two equipped with rifled
        arms, but, on the whole, the Tarheels defending the Sunken Lane were
        armed, like their Irish opponents, with smoothbores."

        Most of the machinery at the Fayetteville Arsenal came from Harper's
        Ferry. When fully operational the arsenal was capable of producing
        10,000 rifles per year. However, even though the arsenal remained in
        operation until Sherman's men burned it in 1865, it only produced about
        20,000 rifles.

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          Thanks Tom. I, too, have the book and it was already
          consulted for the values I presented earlier.
          Additional confirmation for the Irish, secondary
          source for the North Carolinians.

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?