Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: ANVa Supply Trains

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dean,
      A quick check of CS artillery memoirs, etc does not definitely show any location of the ammunition reserve trains. sorry.

      >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 02/01/08 2:24 PM >>>
      Tom it is... glad to meet you, sir!

      Excellent information, that helps me spot the trains on the map.

      The artillery problem is an issue I'll need to resolve. I don't recall Reilly (who at least
      mentioned going back to look) or anyone else suggesting they had to ford the Potomac to
      get a re-supply of artillery ammunition. So, this indirectly suggests that what stocks they
      had available were in the Md side trains.

      Leaving me wondering what it was Lee was protecting across the river.

      Do you know of any other battery commanders recollections about the rather mundane
      matters of ammunition resupply on that day?
    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2008

        Thanks for looking. It looks like the issue might be
        moot for me anyway, Mt Airy is off my map area (very
        similar to the Carmen-Cope maps) to the SW, so guns
        looking to reload will have to shoot off the map there
        (with an explanation of when they come back). Since
        they are already going off the map, whether the trains
        are at Mt Airy, Shepherdstown, or Boetler's matters
        little... it will be a while in real time before they
        come back.

        Dean

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs