Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 128th PA weapons

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
      Larry,
      A long answer. Fred Todd started what he projected to be a six volume set. Vol. I was the U.S. Regular army, with detailed drawings and descriptions of all sorts of things. George Woodbridge did the illustrating, very and it is the best stuff out there. Vol;. II then went into the Conferderate side, and Vol. II the Navy & Marines, and the then he started covering the states, thru Conn. Then he died, and his widow assembled the states stuff and published it combined into what is sold as Vol. II. Yes it is very valuable as source, and I thin Dean said he uses it. Ther initial volumes are great too, but harder to find. I have the first three and then the combined Vol. II. Contact me off-line or stop by and you can peruse to your heart's content.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 02/02/08 8:58 AM >>>
      Tom,

      Do you use Vol. II of Todd's book? I don't have any of the three and
      wondered if just buying II would suffice since it covers 1851-72?

      Thank you,
      Larry F.

      > Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had
      Springfield rifled muskets.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far in my research on them to
      answer that question. I just can confirm that they had very little
      drilling from letters and reports. Though their Colonel, Samuel
      Croasdale had been in the 25th Pa, so he had some experience, which
      is why he got the job of Colonel. He primarily raised Co C of the
      regiment, most men coming from the Doylestown area.