Unit Ratings

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      Tom Shay,

      Thank you again for the cav info. I will use this in my paper.

      About the 11th Conn rating as "green," I would have thought it would
      have been rated higher since it was not new and had some combat
      experience.

      The 11th Regiment was mustered into Federal service on 27 November
      1861. It left Hartford on 16 December with 927 men enrolled on its
      journey to Annapolis, Maryland. There, they joined the 8th
      Connecticut as part of Brig. Gen. Ambrose Burnside's secret
      Expeditionary Corps on the way to the coast of North Carolina.

      Burnside and his 15,000 men and a fleet of more than eighty ships and
      boats left Annapolis in early January to rendezvous at Fort Monroe,
      Virginia, then on to Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina. The 11th,
      embarked on the USS Sentinel and the SS Voltigeur, went through two
      major storms, during one of which the Voltigeur was thrown up on a
      beach on Cape Hatteras, where five companies were stranded for twenty-
      three days but suffered no casualties.

      The 11th did not participate at Roanoke Island since it was
      shipwrecked off Hatteras (kept in "reserve" according to Burnside).
      It did see combat, however, as it suffered six killed and twenty one
      wounded at New Berne on 14 March where it performed well. The
      regiment benefited from its sojourn in various camp locations despite
      some bouts of fever: it received a new commanding officer, Henry W.
      Kingsbury, a regular army officer and a friend of Burnside, who
      instituted examinations for line officers and drill and inspections
      for the men. This salutary regimen transformed the previously
      undisciplined regiment into one to be admired. It camped near the
      Trent River until late July when it was ordered to join the Army of
      the Potomac near Fredericksburg, Virginia. Early August found it
      patrolling the streets of Fredericksburg and drilling until it heard
      the sound of guns to the west heralding the end of its pleasant duty.
      The Union Army of Virginia had lost the Battle of Second Manassas on
      29-30 August and was in retreat to Washington. Along with its
      sister Connecticut regiments, the 8th and 16th and the 4th Rhode
      Island, it was assigned to Brig. Gen. Edward Harland's 2d Brigade, 3d
      Division of the 9th Corps. Its division commander, Brig. Gen. Isaac
      Peace Rodman, and its acting corps commander, Maj. Gen. Jesse Lee
      Reno, would both become casualties during the Maryland Campaign: Reno
      was killed at South Mountain on 14 September and Rodman mortally
      wounded at Antietam on 17 September.

      I wonder what Sid's criteria were?
      Larry F.