Irish Bde and Anderson's NC Bde Weapons

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hi Gerry!

      This is what I have:

      (The only small arms categories here are either rifled or smoothbore, the detail of which
      exact kind or model is beyond my needs.) "Hard" means the data has been confirmed by
      how level sources (ordinance quarterlies, state records, or multiple secondaries). Some of
      these units might be mixes (the Texans are very problematic that way), so I had to go with
      predominant type.

      29 Mass: Rifle--hard
      63 NY: Smoothbore--hard
      69 NY: Smoothbore--hard
      88NY: Smoothbore--hard

      2 NC: Smoothbore
      4 NC: Smoothbore--hard
      14 NC: Smoothbore
      30 NC: Rifle

      As you can see, most of the types in Anderson's Bde are still soft.

      Dean
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
        Dear Dean;

        Thanks for your email with the information. I will get back to
        you further on this as I have to check some sources here. Might
        be a few days.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
          The book "My Sons Were Faithful And They Fought" by Bilby & O'Neill contains an article by William Goble entitled "Irish Brigade Ordnance at Antietam".

          Here is some of the text from that 5-page article pertinent to Dean's request:

          At Antietam.."Only the Yankees of the 29th Massachusetts were equipped with modern Pattern 1853 British Enfield rifle muskets. The Irishmen of the 63rd, 69th, and 88th New York carried United States Model 1842 smoothbore muskets, arms that, except for their percussion ignition, had changed little since the Napoleonic Wars."

          "The North Carolinians occupying the lane were, like the Irish, largely armed with smoothbore muskets. When the war began North Carolina Governor John W. Ellis seized the United States arsenal at Fayetteville and obtained enough weapons to arm thirty regiments. Most of these confiscated guns were Model 1842 smoothbore muskets or percussion conversions of flintlock smoothbores. By the fall of 1862, most North Carolina regiments had a company or two equipped with rifled arms, but, on the whole, the Tarheels defending the Sunken Lane were armed, like their Irish opponents, with smoothbores."

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
            Dear Tom,

            Thanks for providing that for Dean! I have the same book but was
            going to get that to him tomorrow or Monday.

            But I will look at Krick's article in Gallagher's "The Antietam
            Campaign" to see what else can be gleaned.

            > The book "My Sons Were Faithful And They Fought" by Bilby &
            > O'Neill contains an article by William Goble entitled "Irish
            > Brigade Ordnance at Antietam".
            >
            > Here is some of the text from that 5-page article pertinent to
            > Dean's request:
            >
            > At Antietam.."Only the Yankees of the 29th Massachusetts were
            > equipped with modern Pattern 1853 British Enfield rifle
            > muskets. The Irishmen of the 63rd, 69th, and 88th New York
            > carried United States Model 1842 smoothbore muskets, arms that,
            > except for their percussion ignition, had changed little since
            > the Napoleonic Wars."
            >
            > "The North Carolinians occupying the lane were, like the Irish,
            > largely armed with smoothbore muskets. When the war began North
            > Carolina Governor John W. Ellis seized the United States
            > arsenal at Fayetteville and obtained enough weapons to arm
            > thirty regiments. Most of these confiscated guns were Model
            > 1842 smoothbore muskets or percussion conversions of flintlock
            > smoothbores. By the fall of 1862, most North Carolina regiments
            > had a company or two equipped with rifled arms, but, on the
            > whole, the Tarheels defending the Sunken Lane were armed, like
            > their Irish opponents, with smoothbores."
            >
            > Tom Shay

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
              Tom Shay wrote:

              > "The North Carolinians occupying the lane were, like the Irish,
              largely armed with smoothbore muskets. When the war began North
              Carolina Governor John W. Ellis seized the United States arsenal at
              Fayetteville and obtained enough weapons to arm thirty regiments. Most
              of these confiscated guns were Model 1842 smoothbore muskets or
              percussion conversions of flintlock smoothbores. By the fall of 1862,
              most North Carolina regiments had a company or two equipped with rifled
              arms, but, on the whole, the Tarheels defending the Sunken Lane were
              armed, like their Irish opponents, with smoothbores."

              Most of the machinery at the Fayetteville Arsenal came from Harper's
              Ferry. When fully operational the arsenal was capable of producing
              10,000 rifles per year. However, even though the arsenal remained in
              operation until Sherman's men burned it in 1865, it only produced about
              20,000 rifles.

              Regards,
              Teej

            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
                Thanks Tom. I, too, have the book and it was already
                consulted for the values I presented earlier.
                Additional confirmation for the Irish, secondary
                source for the North Carolinians.

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?