Re: 128th PA weapons

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1 7:52 PM
      Perfect. Thank you Tom.

      Oddly, that's the source (plus some of the quarterly reports from ordinance) that I got my
      small arms data from...the reason I asked is I have the "hard" data in my OOB in bold and
      use plain text for (semi) educated guesswork and I'm always on the lookout to turn
      something plain into bold. Yet, the weapons for the 128th were not in bold, so I assumed
      I didn't find them in Todd.

      I either missed them in the book or screwed up the coding in the OOB. Either way, they are
      fixed now thanks to your help.

      Dean

      > Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had Springfield rifled
      muskets.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far in my research on them to answer that question.
      I just can confirm that they had very little drilling from letters and reports. Though their
      Colonel, Samuel Croasdale had been in the 25th Pa, so he had some experience, which is
      why he got the job of Colonel. He primarily raised Co C of the regiment, most men
      coming from the Doylestown area.

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1 8:11 PM
        Thanks Tom. I recall reading somewhere that they had Springfields, but I couldn't remember if that was in a letter or some other source and I never actually verified that info.

        Paula

        Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had Springfield rifled muskets.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1 8:13 PM
          Dean;

          Do you have information on what Confederate units used as
          weaponry? If you are also doing the CSA side, I might be able to
          help with the fighting down around the Sunken Road sector,
          particularly with the Irish Brigade and Anderson's NC Brigade.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
          <clemenst@...> wrote:

          > Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had
          > Springfield rifled
          muskets.

          > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

          > Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far in my research on them
          > to answer that question.
          I just can confirm that they had very little drilling from
          letters and reports. Though their
          Colonel, Samuel Croasdale had been in the 25th Pa, so he had some
          experience, which is
          why he got the job of Colonel. He primarily raised Co C of the
          regiment, most men
          coming from the Doylestown area.

          > Paula

          > From: "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
          > I agree...
          >
          > Paula, maybe you can confirm their armament information for me?
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@ wrote:
          > >
          > > The 128th Pa were definitely green. In fact, prior to
          > > Antietam, they had very little
          drilling,.
          > Mostly digging entrenchments around DC.
          > >
          > > Paula

        • dean_essig
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1 8:20 PM

            I have many, some tracked down from state archives by some very loyal customers and
            friends, I can always use more confirmation data, as long as there is some sourcing given
            so I don't replace harder information sources with softer ones.

            Thanks!

            Dean

            If you want, send it directly to d.essig@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2 3:30 AM
              Dear Dean,

              Let me know what you have or need via the Irish Brigade or
              Anderson's NC Brigade, and I will see what I can find!

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2 5:58 AM

                Do you use Vol. II of Todd's book? I don't have any of the three and
                wondered if just buying II would suffice since it covers 1851-72?

                Thank you,
                Larry F.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2 1:04 PM
                  Larry,
                  A long answer. Fred Todd started what he projected to be a six volume set. Vol. I was the U.S. Regular army, with detailed drawings and descriptions of all sorts of things. George Woodbridge did the illustrating, very and it is the best stuff out there. Vol;. II then went into the Conferderate side, and Vol. II the Navy & Marines, and the then he started covering the states, thru Conn. Then he died, and his widow assembled the states stuff and published it combined into what is sold as Vol. II. Yes it is very valuable as source, and I thin Dean said he uses it. Ther initial volumes are great too, but harder to find. I have the first three and then the combined Vol. II. Contact me off-line or stop by and you can peruse to your heart's content.

                  >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 02/02/08 8:58 AM >>>
                  Tom,