Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Muster Dates

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 1, 2008
      Carman rates the infantry within these levels: Green, Trained, Veteran, Crack, Elite.

      For instance, here is Union 9th Corps:

      NINTH ARMY CORPS Maj Gen. A. E. BURNSIDE
      FIRST DIVISION: Brig. Gen. ORLANDO B. WILLCOX

      First Brigade: Col. BENJAMIN C. CHRIST
      28th Massachusetts, Capt. Andrew P. Caraher: 217 Trained troops
      17th Michigan, Col. William H. Withington: 525 Green troops
      79th New York, Lieut. Col. David Morrison: 193 Trained troops
      50th Pennsylvania, Maj. Edward Overton: 370 Trained troops

      Second Brigade: Col. THOMAS WELSH
      8th Michigan, Lieut. Col. Frank Graves: 435 Trained troops
      46th New York, Lieut. Col. Joseph Gerhardt: 278 Trained troops
      45th Pennsylvania, Lieut. Col. John I. Curtin: 560 Trained troops
      100th Pennsylvania, Lieut. Col. David A. Leckey: 356 Trained troops

      Artillery.
      Massachusetts Light, Eighth Battery, Capt. Asa M. Cook: 6 mixed guns, 117 Trained troops
      2d United States, Battery E, Lieut. Samuel N. Benjmin: 6 20-lb Parrotts, 129 Crack troops

      SECOND DIVISION: Brig. Gen. SAMUEL D. STURGIS

      First Brigade: Brig. Gen. JAMES NAGLE
      2d Maryland, Lieut. Col. J. Eugene Duryea: 167 Trained troops
      6th New Hampshire, Col. Simon G. Griffin: 157 Trained troops
      9th New Hampshire, Col. Enoch Q. Fellows: 710 Green troops
      48th Pennsylvania, Lieut. Col. Joshua K. Sigfried: 390 Trained troops

      Second Brigade: Brig. Gen. EDWARD FERRERO
      21st Massachusetts, Col. William S. Clark: 158 Trained troops
      35th Massachusetts, Col. Edward A. Wild: 750 Green troops
      51st New York, Col. Robert B. Potter: 338 Trained troops
      51st Pennsylvania, Col. John F. Hartranft: 333 Trained troops

      Artillery.
      Pennsylvania Light, Battery D, Capt. George W. Durell: 6 10-lb Parrotts, 123 Crack troops
      4th United States, Battery E, Capt. Joseph C. Clark, jr: 4 10-lb Parrotts, 118 Crack troops

      THIRD DIVISION: Brig. Gen. ISAAC P. RODMAN

      First Brigade: Col. HARRISON S. FAIRCHILD
      9th New York, Lieut. Col. Edgar A. Kimball: 375 Crack troops
      89th New York, Maj Edward Jardine: 368 Trained troops
      103d New York, Maj Benjamin Ringold: 202 Trained troops

      Second Brigade: Col. EDWARD HARLAND
      8th Connecticut, Lieut. Col. Hiram Appelman: 375 Trained troops
      11th Connecticut, Col. Henry W. Kingsbury: 430 Green troops
      16th Connecticut, Col. Francis Beach: 739 Green troops
      4th Rhode Island, Col. William H. P. Steere: 247 Trained troops

      Artillery.
      5th United States, Battery A, Lieut. Charles P. Muhlenberg: 6 Napoleons, 123 Crack troops

      KANAWHA (4th) DIVISION: Col. ELIAKIM P. SCAMMON

      First Brigade: Col. HUGH EWING
      12th Ohio, Col. Carr B. White: 200 Veteran troops
      23d Ohio, Maj. James M. Comly: 360 Veteran troops
      30th Ohio, Lieut. Col. Theodore Jones: 342 Veteran troops

      Second Brigade: Col. GEORGE CROOK
      11th Ohio, Lieut. Col. Augustus H, Coleman: 430 Trained troops
      28th Ohio, Lieut. Col. Gottfried Becker: 719 Green troops
      36th Ohio, Lieut. Col. Melvin Clarke: 739 Green Trained troops

      Artillery.
      Ohio Light Artillery, First Battery, Capt. James R. McMullin: 6 10-lb James, 129 Veteran troops
      Kentucky Lt Artillery, Simmonds' Bty, Capt. S. Simmonds: 3 10-lb Parrotts, 98 Veteran troops
      2nd New York Light, Battery L, Capt. Jacob Roemer: 6 Ordnance, 98 Green troops

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2008
        Dear Stephen,

        One thing is clear...the Sunken Road slide, and I suspect the
        others....are meant to be viewed in either a magic lantern or a
        stereoscopic viewer of some sort.

        This particular photo seems to be one of the more famed post view
        views of the Sunken Road. The cabin in the distance is, IIRC,
        that built for one of the freed slaves formerly owned by Mr
        Piper. The cabin is on the edge of the Piper Farm property.