Re: [TalkAntietam] 128th PA weapons

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
      Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had Springfield rifled muskets.

      >>> <128thpa@...> 02/01/08 5:23 PM >>>
      Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far in my research on them to answer that question. I just can confirm that they had very little drilling from letters and reports. Though their Colonel, Samuel Croasdale had been in the 25th Pa, so he had some experience, which is why he got the job of Colonel. He primarily raised Co C of the regiment, most men coming from the Doylestown area.

      Paula

      From: "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
      I agree...

      Paula, maybe you can confirm their armament information for me?

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@... wrote:

      > The 128th Pa were definitely green. In fact, prior to Antietam, they had very little drilling,.
      Mostly digging entrenchments around DC.

      > Paula

    • dean_essig
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
        Perfect. Thank you Tom.

        Oddly, that's the source (plus some of the quarterly reports from ordinance) that I got my
        small arms data from...the reason I asked is I have the "hard" data in my OOB in bold and
        use plain text for (semi) educated guesswork and I'm always on the lookout to turn
        something plain into bold. Yet, the weapons for the 128th were not in bold, so I assumed
        I didn't find them in Todd.

        I either missed them in the book or screwed up the coding in the OOB. Either way, they are
        fixed now thanks to your help.

        Dean

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
          Thanks Tom. I recall reading somewhere that they had Springfields, but I couldn't remember if that was in a letter or some other source and I never actually verified that info.

          Paula

          Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had Springfield rifled muskets.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
            Dean;

            Do you have information on what Confederate units used as
            weaponry? If you are also doing the CSA side, I might be able to
            help with the fighting down around the Sunken Road sector,
            particularly with the Irish Brigade and Anderson's NC Brigade.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
            <clemenst@...> wrote:

            > Fred Todd's American Military Equipage says the 128th PA had
            > Springfield rifled
            muskets.

            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

            > Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far in my research on them
            > to answer that question.
            I just can confirm that they had very little drilling from
            letters and reports. Though their
            Colonel, Samuel Croasdale had been in the 25th Pa, so he had some
            experience, which is
            why he got the job of Colonel. He primarily raised Co C of the
            regiment, most men
            coming from the Doylestown area.

            > Paula

            > From: "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
            > I agree...
            >
            > Paula, maybe you can confirm their armament information for me?
            >
            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@ wrote:
            > >
            > > The 128th Pa were definitely green. In fact, prior to
            > > Antietam, they had very little
            drilling,.
            > Mostly digging entrenchments around DC.
            > >
            > > Paula

          • dean_essig
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008

              I have many, some tracked down from state archives by some very loyal customers and
              friends, I can always use more confirmation data, as long as there is some sourcing given
              so I don't replace harder information sources with softer ones.

              Thanks!

              Dean

              If you want, send it directly to d.essig@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
                Dear Dean,

                Let me know what you have or need via the Irish Brigade or
                Anderson's NC Brigade, and I will see what I can find!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008

                  Do you use Vol. II of Todd's book? I don't have any of the three and
                  wondered if just buying II would suffice since it covers 1851-72?

                  Thank you,
                  Larry F.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Larry,
                    A long answer. Fred Todd started what he projected to be a six volume set. Vol. I was the U.S. Regular army, with detailed drawings and descriptions of all sorts of things. George Woodbridge did the illustrating, very and it is the best stuff out there. Vol;. II then went into the Conferderate side, and Vol. II the Navy & Marines, and the then he started covering the states, thru Conn. Then he died, and his widow assembled the states stuff and published it combined into what is sold as Vol. II. Yes it is very valuable as source, and I thin Dean said he uses it. Ther initial volumes are great too, but harder to find. I have the first three and then the combined Vol. II. Contact me off-line or stop by and you can peruse to your heart's content.

                    >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 02/02/08 8:58 AM >>>
                    Tom,