Re: Col Davis near Sharpsburg

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008

      This is fantastic stuff--thank you. I was not aware that the Jeff Davis Legion and Hart's
      battery detached en route from the Brownsville Pass to Knoxville. I had assumed that
      Stuart kept Hampton's force intact near Knoxville to better resist the anticipated approach
      of Franklin's Sixth Corps along the Potomac. Thanks to you and others in the forum, I'm
      beginning to get a clearer picture of the confusing Confederate movements that took
      place on the night of the 14th.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:
      > Steve:
      > I don't have a copy of Murfin to-hand, so I can't swear as to his source, but it sounds to
      me as if he's referencing a particular passage from Carman's manuscript. Here's how it
      appears in my edition:
      > "The escaping Union cavalry narrowly missed another encounter¬ówith a regiment of
      Confederate cavalry and a light battery of six guns. When Hampton's Brigade marched
      from Burkittsville on the morning of September 14, part of it went along the east base of
      South Mountain to Knoxville, on the Potomac, and picketed the roads leading to Berlin and
      Frederick. Two regiments crossed Brownsville Gap into Pleasant Valley. One of these, the
      Jeff Davis Legion, with Hart's Battery of six guns, was placed at Solomon's Gap in Elk
      Ridge. Colonel Martin, commanding the regiment, threw out pickets in the direction of the
      Potomac; some of these were encountered and brushed away by the Union cavalry about
      10:00 p.m., as it neared the bridge spanning the Antietam near its mouth. This
      information was quickly carried to Martin, who was surprised at news of an enemy in that
      direction, and, after a hasty conference with some of his officers, the conclusion was
      > reached that McClellan's left wing had interposed between Jackson's forces besieging
      Harper's Ferry and the Confederates at Turner's Gap, Boonsboro, and Hagerstown."