Re: Col. Benjamin Davis near Sharpsburg on 9/14

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
      Brian,

      Thank you for referring me to Don Caughey's blog on the breakout. It's very well done,
      indeed, and the map is especially helpful.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 11:39 AM
        Steve,

        According to Carman there were pickets from Hampton's Brigade,
        Martin's regiment, the Jeff Davis Legion. Check out Carman (Pierro)
        pp. 124-5. Here is a brief summary:

        The Union column missed a more dangerous encounter with Rebel cavalry
        that morning. When Hampton's Brigade rode from Burkittsville near
        Crampton's Gap on the morning of 14 September, some of it went along
        the east foot of South Mountain to picket roads leading from
        Frederick and Berlin, while two regiments crossed into Pleasant
        Valley to the western side of South Mountain. One of these was the
        Jeff Davis Legion with six guns of Hart's Battery which took up a
        position at Solomon's Gap in Elk Ridge to the north of Harpers Ferry.
        Some of its pickets were those encountered by the Union column at the
        mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac about 10 pm that night. Col.
        Martin commanding the regiment decided to retreat to Hagerstown
        believing the McClellan's troops were between Harpers Ferry and
        points north and west. As he retreated, his scouts reported the Union
        column on a roughly parallel track but closer to the Potomac.
        Learning of the identity of the column he began pursuit seeing the
        smoke from the burning wagons in the Unionist's wake. Finding that he
        could not catch them, he turned and crossed into Williamsport. This
        was fortunate for Martin as his 300 troopers would not have been much
        of a match for the Union column.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, Forum.
        >
        > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
        escapees, the 12th Illinois,
        > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
        the Sharpsburg village
        > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
        William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
        > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
        time, as well.

        > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
        evidence to support CS infantry,
        > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
        the edge of Sharpsburg at
        > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
        >
        > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve

      • cowie_steve
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2 12:06 PM
          Larry,

          Thanks so much for clarifying.

          To refresh, Murfin's GOB, page 153, placed the 10:00 p.m. contact between the escaping
          Federal cavalry column and Confederate pickets "near the edge of Sharpsburg." Carmen's
          placement "at the mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac" makes much more sense to
          me.

          Best,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 1:04 PM
            I am familiar with Carman's account and the letters, reports, etc. he used to write that passage. Murfin used Carman as his source on this. I am also familiar with how far it is from Solomon's Gap to What is essentially today Sample's Manor and that is a hell of a distance to picket with 300 men. Given the reductions for picket reserves, those supporting Hart's guns and the signal detachment on Elk Ridge, it doesn't leave a lot of guys to stretch that distance. Dennis Frye, who knows the MD Campaign quite well and grew up in Pleasant Valley, finds this passage hard to accept. Yet Carman's sources say it happened, and he takes that as gospel. This passage really illustrates the difficulty and ambiguity of dealing with Carman.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            wrote:

            > Hello, Forum.
            >
            > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
            escapees, the 12th Illinois,
            > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
            the Sharpsburg village
            > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
            William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
            > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
            time, as well.

            > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
            evidence to support CS infantry,
            > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
            the edge of Sharpsburg at
            > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
            >
            > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Steve

          • joseph_pierro
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4 9:38 AM
              Tom is correct regarding the distances involved in Carman's version
              of the event. It does give one pause. On the other hand, I've yet to
              find any contemporary evidence to contradict the claim.

              Also, the purpose of picketing, after all, is simply to give notice
              of an enemy's approach, not to attempt any appreciable resistance.
              And we're talking about picketing during the operational stage of a
              campaign (as opposed to the tactical phase, when the bulk of both
              armies are in close proximity, in their main battle lines). Given the
              distances over which the ANV was scattered at the time, the vast
              expanse of mileage over which potential threats could come, and the
              number of different avenues of approach from which the ANV had to
              guard against being attacked in detail, a distance as great as Carman
              records for those pickets is not entirely out of the realm of either
              possibility or military soundness.

              On the larger issue, one good thing to keep in mind whenever dealing
              with the Carman mss. is that the focus of his research overall was in
              furtherance of his official task: to mark the battlefield of Sept.
              17. That's where the bulk of his energies were directed -- on
              Antietam. Much of his focus on other aspects of the campaign -- South
              Mountain, for instance -- was undertaken primarily with regard to
              what the unit strengths would have been by the time they reached the
              field at Antietam. 9/17 was always uppermost.

              Of course, his manuscript covers the entire campaign, however. I
              don;t mean to suggest that it isn't of tremendous value OUTSIDE of
              9/17, but the area of Carman's greatest expertise was on the battle
              of Antietam. (Or, to put it more generously, he was on even FIRMER
              ground when discussing Antietam than he was on other aspects of the
              campaign.)

              I noticed in my work that, as he moves away from the battle itself,
              he tends to defer a bit more to his sources and is less willing to
              second-guess them.

              --jake