Re: Muster Dates

    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 1 7:11 AM
      Dean,

      OK, so it sounds like the ultimate definition of "green" is how much
      you can find out about its previous drill/training. But isn't the
      ultimate test of how well a green unit does is how it did during the
      battle? Of course leadership/morale/food/weather/etc., all figure
      into how a unit does for the first time under fire too.

      Anyway, learning how much training a green unit had before the battle
      is quite a challenge. I remember reading that some new units trained
      on the march or in camp during the night--see my Conn. paper on MHO.
      But that wouldn't compare to those units which spent weeks/months
      drilling, etc.

      Good luck in your endeavor and I look forward to seeing the game.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Larry!
      >
      > While an extensive rating system would be very interesting to see,
      such a thing goes well
      > beyond my needs here.
      >
      > I'm concerned about units that have not gotten enough time on the
      drill field to obtain
      > even the minimal proficiency an otherwise green (no combat) unit
      would be expected to
      > have.
      >
      > This status will affect the unit in a number of ways, but in a
      nutshell it makes the
      > formation more sluggish and unwieldy as well as reducing its
      ability to generate firepower.
      > There might be more effects (skittishness and such), but testing
      will allow me to get to the
      > point where I can tell when there is "enough" as opposed to "too
      much" or "not enough"
      > effect (some of these units acquitted themselves well, they were
      just clumsy).

      > So, the definition revolves around drill and training as opposed to
      the previous experience
      > of combat.
      >
      > Dean

      <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:

      > > Dean,
      > >
      > > Looks like "green" may require your imposed definition. If you
      define
      > > it as a regiment with a majority of men who have never been in
      > > combat, then you have a good list already. But as you point out
      > > then "green" could also then mean a regiment with a majority of
      men
      > > who have been together for several months and have drilled, etc.,
      > > then that is a different kettle of fish (fresh fish). This would
      > > include most of the heavy artillery units around DC which turned
      into
      > > excellent cannon fodder during the Overland Campaign.
      > >
      > > IMO, "green" means a regiment which never has been in combat. But
      > > arguably a green regiment having drilled together and perhaps had
      > > marksmanship training would likely be much more effective than
      > > a "green" one which had none of that. I suppose you could assign
      > > number from 1 to 10, 1 being brand new with no experience in
      anything
      > > to 10 being a regiment which has been in combat several times.
      This

      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9 6:55 AM
        Dear Stephen,

        One thing is clear...the Sunken Road slide, and I suspect the
        others....are meant to be viewed in either a magic lantern or a
        stereoscopic viewer of some sort.

        This particular photo seems to be one of the more famed post view
        views of the Sunken Road. The cabin in the distance is, IIRC,
        that built for one of the freed slaves formerly owned by Mr
        Piper. The cabin is on the edge of the Piper Farm property.