Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 90th PA Monument

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
      The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of this
      monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The fragile memorial did not
      last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged, vandalized or simply
      fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the park's curatorial collection"

      There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's "Drums along the Antietam",
      p100. Some of the content of this book might be questionable, but
      it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the Dunker Church region
      before the bypass and visitor's center were built, and a very early
      picture of the national cemetery and several farm houses that are
      kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback farmhouse).

      TRL

      rotbaron@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST, Pa128th@... writes:
      > << I also will post shortly information on the 90th Pa Antietam Monument
      > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00 (10,000.00) of which has already been
      > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was placed on the battlefield
      > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the artist. >>
      >
      > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard mentions the 90th PA Monument.
      > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states it's been missing from the
      > battlefield since 1940.
      >
      > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • J Amico
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2001
        --- TR Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:
        > The fall 1995 Blue & Gray Magazine has a picture of
        > this
        > monument, page 64, and some accompanying text: "The
        > fragile memorial did not
        > last, but it is uncertain as to when it was damaged,
        > vandalized or simply
        > fell apart. Parts of the monument are stored in the
        > park's curatorial collection"
        >
        > There is also a picture of it in John W. Schildt's
        > "Drums along the Antietam",
        > p100. Some of the content of this book might be
        > questionable, but
        > it does have some neato rare pictures, such as the
        > Dunker Church region
        > before the bypass and visitor's center were built,
        > and a very early
        > picture of the national cemetery and several farm
        > houses that are
        > kind of off the regular trail (eg, the H Rohrback
        > farmhouse).
        >
        > TRL
        >
        > rotbaron@... wrote:
        >
        > > In a message dated 12/20/2001 0:49:54 AM EST,
        > Pa128th@... writes:
        > > << I also will post shortly information on the
        > 90th Pa Antietam Monument
        > > Fund. This fund will raise $35,000.00
        > (10,000.00) of which has already been
        > > raised) to replace the orginal monument that was
        > placed on the battlefield
        > > by men of the regiment. Gary Casteel is the
        > artist. >>
        > >
        > > In the recent SHAF newsletter, Supt. Howard
        > mentions the 90th PA Monument.
        > > What happened to the original? Supt. Howard states
        > it's been missing from the
        > > battlefield since 1940.
        > >
        > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

        As an aside ..Im writng a booklet on the destruction
        of Iverson s Brigade at Gburg. Of course the 90th PA
        was part of the crew that was responsible for this..Im
        wondering if any of you have info. about the 90th PA
        at Gburg that may be of help. Thanks.Happy holidays
        -Jason Amico
        PA Historical and Museum Commission
        Harrisburg,PA

        http://greetings.yahoo.com