Re: Muster Dates

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 1, 2008
      Bill,

      Gallagher cites Ida V. Brown _Michigan in the Civil War_ as the source for the drilling
      information.

      I take it you are arguing that they should fall into my "green" category (along with the
      other limited service time regiments)? I rather wish they had more service at Antietam to
      add to their good performance at South Mountain to make the evaluation clearer.

      It's possible for me to set up their ratings to account for being both green _and_
      reasonably effective, but I have to be sure in any event. That would make for a very
      interesting looking unit.

      Thank you for your interest!

      Dean

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Glenna Jo Christen" <gwjchris@...>
      wrote:

      > Dean,
      > Recruiting for the Seventeenth did started in May 1862, but took the entire summer to
      fill the ranks of each company. The companies from across the came together in August
      and during the last week of the month were mustered in at the Detroit Barracks.

      > I believe that there is one sentence in Michigan in the War that mentions Pitman, and he
      may have been responsible for training (Gallahger's source?). The colonel of the Regiment,
      William Withington, had been a captain in the First Michigan Infantry (captured at First
      Manassas and not released until the summer of 1862). A few of the other company officers
      had seen service during the first year of the war.

      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2008
        Dear Stephen,

        One thing is clear...the Sunken Road slide, and I suspect the
        others....are meant to be viewed in either a magic lantern or a
        stereoscopic viewer of some sort.

        This particular photo seems to be one of the more famed post view
        views of the Sunken Road. The cabin in the distance is, IIRC,
        that built for one of the freed slaves formerly owned by Mr
        Piper. The cabin is on the edge of the Piper Farm property.