Muster Dates

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dean,
      Recruiting for the Seventeenth did started in May 1862, but took the entire summer to fill the ranks of each company. The companies from across the came together in August and during the last week of the month were mustered in at the Detroit Barracks.

      I believe that there is one sentence in Michigan in the War that mentions Pitman, and he may have been responsible for training (Gallahger's source?). The colonel of the Regiment, William Withington, had been a captain in the First Michigan Infantry (captured at First Manassas and not released until the summer of 1862). A few of the other company officers had seen service during the first year of the war.

      Bill Christen

      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 9, 2008
        Dear Stephen,

        One thing is clear...the Sunken Road slide, and I suspect the
        others....are meant to be viewed in either a magic lantern or a
        stereoscopic viewer of some sort.

        This particular photo seems to be one of the more famed post view
        views of the Sunken Road. The cabin in the distance is, IIRC,
        that built for one of the freed slaves formerly owned by Mr
        Piper. The cabin is on the edge of the Piper Farm property.